Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First CNC

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Ernie, I found the easiest way for me to learn was to start simple. My first project was a simple engraving with 1 v-carved tool path. After that I added a profile cut to my second(I engraved a project and cut it out). Third project I made a tray. It had 3 tool paths( I pocketed the bowl, engraved the bottom, and profile cut it. Next big step was vcarved inlays. It becomes much easier pretty quickly. You'll be on inlays in no time.
    That's exactly the path I took back in 2018 when I got my machine...each little learning project added "just one more thing/operation/technique" as part of the learning process. I use Vectric software and found the learning support and materials are excellent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Hobbs View Post
    I have to travel for work this week, but when I return, I was planning to get started with a simple house number to hang on my front porch. Then maybe I'll try a few simple signs. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, ultimately, but I'll be looking for more complicated projects as I learn how. I've done several relief carvings and I thought some of those projects might be cool to duplicate with the CNC. There is a copy of Vcarve on a thumb drive with a license info, but when I tried to sign in, I got errors. I think it is registered to the former owner (who is no long living). I'll probably need to call Vectric- I'd really like to avoid spending $350 for a separate license.
    Vectric does have a provision for a one time license transfer for software that came with a CNC machine; there is a fee and you will need cooperation with the estate I suspect. If the latter is an issue, I'll suggest you contact Vectric technical/customer support to see if there is an avenue for you, but otherwise, you would need to purchase your own license. There is an FAQ on their website that explains license transfer requirements clearly.
    --

Ernie

The standard vcarve limits you to 24"x24" but they offer an upgrade to get you to pro. So down the road when you want to maximize the footprint of your machine you can upgrade. Good luck getting the current license worked out

I would cut simple shapes first to check the calibration. Rectangles, triangles & circles. Cut a specific size then measure the actual size.

I have to travel for work this week, but when I return, I was planning to get started with a simple house number to hang on my front porch. Then maybe I'll try a few simple signs. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, ultimately, but I'll be looking for more complicated projects as I learn how. I've done several relief carvings and I thought some of those projects might be cool to duplicate with the CNC. There is a copy of Vcarve on a thumb drive with a license info, but when I tried to sign in, I got errors. I think it is registered to the former owner (who is no long living). I'll probably need to call Vectric- I'd really like to avoid spending $350 for a separate license.

Not my wheelhouse, but I see these Stepcraft systems with automatic tool changer at very reasonable price points:

https://www.stepcraft.us/shop/stepcr...attr=90,88,116

If there was one upgrade I would do to mine, it would be ATC since most projects I take on require tool changes in the middle of the run.

(someone more educated can comment on the particular products mentioned)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    I would cut simple shapes first to check the calibration. Rectangles, triangles & circles. Cut a specific size then measure the actual size.
    A few updates: Vectric requires the previous owner of the license to approve the transfer, which is impossible since he is deceased. But the good news is that I found a printout of his license information in a box and it works on my computer- so we're good. I'll need a whole new license if I want to upgrade to Vcarve Pro or Aspire, but I can worry about that later.
    I got the system running and fully checked out the components last weekend. I want to do a first project tomorrow- I am thinking about a simple sign for the numbers on my house. I also want to test out the 7 watt laser and see if I can tinker with that a bit.

Thanks for you help and I'll post here with any progress.
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 09-29-2023 at 2:54 PM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

A few updates: Vectric requires the previous owner of the license to approve the transfer, which is impossible since he is deceased. But the good news is that I found a printout of his license information in a box and it works on my computer- so we're good. I'll need a whole new license if I want to upgrade to Vcarve Pro or Aspire, but I can worry about that later.
    I got the system running and fully checked out the components last weekend. I want to do a first project tomorrow- I am thinking about a simple sign for the numbers on my house. I also want to test out the 7 watt laser and see if I can tinker with that a bit.

Thanks for you help and I'll post here with any progress.
    His executor should be able to "stand in" for him legally if he is deceased as his estate takes "ownership" of stuff...have another chat with Vectric about that given the situation as it could save you substantial money and allow you to move to current software, which is now 11.55
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Pwncnc is also very close to having an auto tool changer product for 1F, and probably other, brand machines. There was a link to a short video showing it going thru its paces, but the video has since been taken down. When I upgrade to spindle from router, I hope to go all the way to ATC as well.
    PwnCNC is now advertising their tool changer for upcoming preorders: Link to YT short: https://youtube.com/shorts/dYJtRfGPm...7_7lb1l84p0fGg

Couldn't find it on their site, so no price.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher