Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 2 rasps would you buy to make a saw handle?

Which 2 rasps would you buy to make a saw handle?

I bought a saw kit where I need to make my own handle but I'm curious which 1-2 rasps you'd recommend in making the handle? I was thinking a round and a half round? I see Lee valley has a hand stitched round rasp but it doesn't say if it's coarse or medium or fine.

Any help would be appreciated! It doesn't have to look amazing but just something I can get by with now while I make this one saw!

Thanks

Luis

Look for a "saw handle makers rasp" It makes the job much easier and is safer too. One place to get: https://toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...earchterm=rasp

They also have some other ones .

Edit: I have the fine one and think it's about the right size.
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 08-26-2023 at 1:24 PM. Reason: added

I personally don't care for the curved (rifflers aside) rasps. My personal preference are the auriou - 13/15 grain for finish and coarser to start. Hope they're still around.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 08-26-2023 at 4:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I personally don't care for the curved (rifflers aside) rasps. My personal preference are the auriou - 13/15 grain for finish and coarser to start. Hope they're still around.
    Those are the two Auriou rasps in my selection. The did very well on my saw handles.

Shaping Saw Handle.jpg

This was my first saw handle. The wood is apple.

Of course, my second saw handle came out better.

Getting Better.jpg

This handle is made of rosewood on a Bontz Saw Works dovetail saw kit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

IMG_2514.jpg

the two in the middle are the Gramercy saw handle rasps. I don’t use them for saw handles but find them handy when used with the other Liogier rasps hanging there. The smaller Liogier, 3rd from right, might be a nice choice. It’s their 7” sage leaf rasp. 14 grain on both sides but each side has a different radius convex shape which is also handy.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-26-2023 at 7:33 PM.

Wow! That was your second handle you ever made? That looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Those are the two Auriou rasps in my selection. The did very well on my saw handles.

Shaping Saw Handle.jpg

This was my first saw handle. The wood is apple.

Of course, my second saw handle came out better.

Getting Better.jpg

This handle is made of rosewood on a Bontz Saw Works dovetail saw kit.

jtk

Thanks for the replies so far. Would the half round cabinetmakers rasps work in coarse, medium and fine?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Would the half round cabinetmakers rasps work in coarse, medium and fine?
    The fine (13 grain) and extra fine (15 grain) worked well for me. Though there are a lot of coarse rasps around the shop.

100_7498.jpg

This is a nice set of rifler rasps > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...t?item=99W7665 < They are not quite fine but they are handy for shaping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Iwasaki Milled tooth files. 10" Halfround medium. https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop...s?item=62W3085
    Does 80% of the work.

Liogier https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop...p?item=62W3181
    + a holfround small file in medium. Sandpaper after that.
    Cheers P.
    Last edited by Juergen Mueller; 08-27-2023 at 5:47 AM.

I have the TFWW handle making rasps. In my opinion they're too small, if you are going to invest in rasps, get cabinet maker's rasps. You'll get more use out of them.

I use a 7, 11, 13 and 15. Most of the work on this plane (one of my first) was done with those rasps. Also, if you remove wood away from a line, you'll get cleaner results than working to the the line. A bit counter-intuative.

files rasps.jpgkerf plane.jpg
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    And I always thought the reward of having a thing well done was the crispy, crunchy seared meat on the ends.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    I have the TFWW handle making rasps. In my opinion they're too small, if you are going to invest in rasps, get cabinet maker's rasps. You'll get more use out of them.
    Agreed. I used a Shinto saw rasp for rough work, a 4 in 1 combination rasp for most of the work, and a small round rasp for more detail work with my saw handle. From there, it was just card scrapers and sandpaper to finish. In other words, I didn't buy any specialty rasps and just used what I had on hand. The only thing a specialty rasp buys you is a little bit of time savings, and if you're not making a bunch of saw handles, they won't save you the time it took to order them online, let alone go to a store. So I recommend a few general purpose rasps in whatever size and shape you think you'll get the most use out of.

Lol, oh no, medium rare please.

I never mentioned, if I had to choose two, I would choose the 11 and 13. But I hope I never have to choose.

And I always thought the reward of having a thing well done was the crispy, crunchy seared meat on the ends.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Lol, oh no, medium rare please.

I never mentioned, if I had to choose two, I would choose the 11 and 13. But I hope I never have to choose.
    I've lately been contemplating purchasing an 11. LV doesn't carry an 11 in the Auriou brand. They do have it in a Logier. Maybe that and the By Hand and Eye book.

jtk
    Medium rare is how Candy likes hers.

I'm still enjoying the fading after glow of Prime Rib night at a little bistro across the river. Plus they have the hottest horse radish of any ever served to me in a restaurant. It is a PNW regional brand.

I think we will be going back more often.

In the Sacramento River Delta this might be the place to go > https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...p?utm_campaign

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-29-2023 at 10:12 AM. Reason: corrections & added link