Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A method of mortising

Yes, I've seen those but never used them. I usually plow a groove and make wooden buttons. Oh, and good on 'ya for making furniture for benefit auction!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Hand chopping more mortises. Sometimes, even when I stay exactly between my mortise gauge lines, I can get tearout along the edge. I tried knifing the lines but still I can get tearout. Usually the shoulders will hide the tearout. Perhaps I am chopping too aggressively. Does any else experience this & are there any solutions❓

Attachment 507726Good

Attachment 507727Bad
    I thought that's what Tennon shoulders are for- covering ugly mortice margins!

BTW, table is beautiful - -something about clean simple lines that just appeals to the eye. Of course that requires comparable levels of execution for complete work. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I start in the middle and work towards both ends. End cuts are only slicing cuts- no prying.
    I do the same way as you. Works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I thought that's what Tennon shoulders are for- covering ugly mortice margins!

BTW, table is beautiful - -something about clean simple lines that just appeals to the eye. Of course that requires comparable levels of execution for complete work. Well done!
    Thanks Mike! Many times I have been saved when my tenon shoulders cover up my tearout. Quartersawn stock isn’t always easy to have.

If the edges of a mortise will be visible, such as on a through mortise, I’ll often chop with a slightly under-sized chisel, then pare the last bit to get the final size. I agree with what other people have said about picking straight-grain wood to help get cleaner edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    If the edges of a mortise will be visible, such as on a through mortise, I’ll often chop with a slightly under-sized chisel, then pare the last bit to get the final size. I agree with what other people have said about picking straight-grain wood to help get cleaner edges.
    Good tip Ben.

Tom King … I didn’t see your Lervad bench under that 20’ beam. ��

Mortising continued

Last edited by Mark Rainey; 10-01-2023 at 7:42 PM.

That is looking good!

Mark, Welcome to wood, and yes many times my morticses look rougher than I would like. Whatever they seem to work and not look too bad when finished. Maybe it is because I'm more of a "framer" than a "finish carpenter".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Hand chopping more mortises. Sometimes, even when I stay exactly between my mortise gauge lines, I can get tearout along the edge. I tried knifing the lines but still I can get tearout. Usually the shoulders will hide the tearout. Perhaps I am chopping too aggressively. Does any else experience this & are there any solutions❓

Attachment 507726Good

Attachment 507727Bad

Really? you guys chop mortises without cutting the sides? You normally use very straight grained stock?

As a hobby worker with no schedule to meet, and because chopping mortises is pleasant work I carefully work down all edges at least 1/16" before going a little faster.

Like the tear-out when chopping dovetail waste.. it's going to be covered (most of the time in mortises), so I generally don't bother.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Really? you guys chop mortises without cutting the sides? You normally use very straight grained stock?

As a hobby worker with no schedule to meet, and because chopping mortises is pleasant work I carefully work down all edges at least 1/16" before going a little faster.
    Tom, I also have been knifing the edges sometimes like you. It does seem to help

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Like the tear-out when chopping dovetail waste.. it's going to be covered (most of the time in mortises), so I generally don't bother.
    Yes Mike, most of the times my tear-out is covered!