Thread: Bevel Sled Rebuild

Blog Entries

Bevel Sled Rebuild

I had a nice little sled that I used for bevel cuts. Small boxes, angled panels, that sort of thing. It ended up getting water damaged (long story) and I have done without for quite a while. I needed one the other day but worked around it. I am tired of doing this so I searched in the sheds for an old sled of dad's that I knew was buried somewhere. This sled was set up for a ZipCode saw that dad inherited from me years ago. It had t-tracks for hold downs but lacked the replaceable ZCI parts that I like. By the time I removed the runners and fences there were just a pile of parts.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (10).jpg

The bed sections were not wide enough for what I needed so I just glued in some filler strips and clamped the whole thing up like any other panel glue up.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (1).jpg

I cut the wide dado for the 3" wide ZCI strip that seats in the base. I used that dado to line up the dado for the ZCI in the fence. You can see that I epoxied some filler pieces into the previous kerfs that will not be used in my setup. Not really necessary and won't whos once the ZCI's are in but I wanted a clean start.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (6).jpg

I made a 90 degree cut to allow me to use the 5-cut method to set the fence. I did this without the ZCI inserts in place. The primary use of this sled is for bevels so there wasn't a lot of choices for how to screw on the 'dummy block'. I went with pocket screws located in areas that the blade could never reach. I set a couple of old business cards under the block to elevate it just a bit. This gives clearance to make sliding the replaceable ZCI inserts in and out easier.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (18).jpg

I grabbed some scrap and made a little organizer for LOML for the bathroom sink to test the sled for accuracy. The bevels all line up well along their length so I am calling this a success.

Vanity Org (8).jpg

When not in use the sled hangs on the cleat/peg wall.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (16).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-27-2023 at 7:28 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    It sounds like a neat jig. Can you show us how to use it?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Sorry about that. Your stock needs to be ripped to a consistent width. The holddowns keep things rock solid at the cut line. I bevel one end.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (11).jpg

The stock is rotated to present the proper bevel. I use a stop for the short lengths.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (12).jpg

And a stop for the long lengths.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (13).jpg

That gives me the parts that go together like so.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (15).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler