Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Talk me out of building an eight foot bench please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Glad to help.

jtk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Don't walk out of the store thinking about the pearls you did not get.

I was at the home store yesterday and happened to notice three 4x6x96 in Doug Fir, all FOHC, minimal knots and I almost bought them. I was thinking about the pearls I wanted.

So today I threw this together with shop scrap. I am going to have to get my scale model floor plan back out and rethink lumber storage by moving scale model paper cutouts around. The two biggest problems I see over and over in single car garage shops are adequate dust collection and significant lumber storage.

But it looks like a beauty, I am going to post a couple pics and go back out there to have some fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whooooa..........

I had not looked in on this thread in a long time. I clicked on the end - Page 5

And I'm looking at my name.

Far out, man. How's the hippie girls shop?

Wish I had a gummy right now...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I ended up with TWO benches. They each fit a different workspace in the shop. One is small, and gets as much use as the larger one (perhaps even more, due to the space it occupies lends itself to be used first)

Two benches, thats my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I ended up with TWO benches. They each fit a different workspace in the shop. One is small, and gets as much use as the larger one (perhaps even more, due to the space it occupies lends itself to be used first)

Two benches, thats my vote.
    You are not wrong. I have been diving into the "Hand and Eye" series of three books from Lost Art Press lately. Jim Tolpin is one of the co-authors, and he talks a lot of sense. If you can spare seven minutes of your life, here is seven minutes about why I could benefit from having work surfaces at three different heights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBS5-AV81lg

I've worked at a bench that long, and one even longer, and never regretted it for one second.