Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used hand tools sale site?

Used hand tools sale site?

I'm in the market for an older Stanley spoke shave. Are there websites where one can shop for used hand tools?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-28-2023 at 12:54 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

James Spangler has a nice Stanley #151 in the classifieds at a great price.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I'm in the market for an older Stanley spoke shave. Are there websites where one can shop for used hand tools?

Thanks,
    Can you be more specific as to what kind you are looking for? Flat or round bottom. Convex or concave? Wood or iron? Large or small? Standard or low angle?

I have some you might be interested in.

Jim Bode tools. I bought a Record scraper plane from him. Mike O'Keefe

Yes, Mr. Spangler has a nice looking one, and a full description of the refurbishment.

if that’s sold, try tooltique.com. Steve is in England, but his shipping is reasonable for small things like this. And nobody restores tools to their original grandeur better than he does.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    James Spangler has a nice Stanley #151 in the classifieds at a great price.
    Not sure if that is "an older Stanley spokeshave."

The #151 came along in 1911. The #51 started in 1870. I prefer the #51 because it is lighter than the adjustable model.

The #51 & #151 are often referred to as gull wing style.

The #52 & #63 have straight handles. The #63 has a convex sole.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-28-2023 at 4:27 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

Thanks,
    Is there a particular model you are seeking?

There is a lot of varieties from which to choose.

Ebay is a good starting place to see if one model might be more preferable than another.

Too bad you are such a long drive away. You would be welcome to give my accumulation a test drive.

I have found a few at flea markets, yard sales and second hand shops. I tend to pass on them if they are not complete. Even finding a decent blade can be difficult.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

eBay is probably your best bet. And something like a spokeshave is simple enough that you don't need to do a ton of fettling to get it going. Just make sure it has all of the parts and looks to be in fairly good shape. In fact, I just bought a Stanley 51 less than a month ago for $20 shipped to my door that's got some paint chipped and needed the iron sharpened, but otherwise works great.

Patrick Leach. Sign up for his email list. He sends it out around the first of each month and usually has a few spokeshaves. Honest descriptions and better prices than Jim Bode. Another option is John Zimmer’s antique tools.

Patrick Leach honest and reasonably priced. Well pleased with my few purchases.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

All I would need from the OP...is the mailing address..
    I have a spare Stanley No. 51 sitting on my desk. It has been used a bit, but I do keep my spokeshaves sharp and ready for work.

Price? NADA...called paying it forward..let me know.

In use?
    3 Rails, cleaned up .JPG
    I needed one hand to operate the camera.....crest rail on my English Garden Bench..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 08-28-2023 at 9:36 PM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Thanks for the replies! As a power tool user, it hurts me to say I am slowly moving more in the neander direction, but it's true! At the recommendation of a friend who uses spoke shaves regularly, I ordered for rehabbing, a Stanley No. 52 off of E-bay. I plan on ordering a Boggs Flat spoke shave from L-N tomorrow.

What size blade replacement blade should I order for the Stanley No. 52? 2 1/8"?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-29-2023 at 12:25 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am happy Ken has found his item, but I also want to put in a plug for Patrick Leach. Once upon a time I needed (finally) a timber framing slick. I had wanted a slick for years, but I finally legit needed one. I find Jim only ships UPS, so cost prohibitive for me to order from Jim to an AK address. Patrick is(was?) willing to ship USPS. I also realized Patrick cannot possibly turn over 100% of all that inventory every month. He has to have a barn or two full of old tools.

So I sent Patrick an email about the slick I needed. I had a return email within two business days, with pics and prices of the slicks he had in stock that met my parameters. I sent money, Patrick sent me a tool. I am completely satisfied, will buy again. Both Jim and Patrick have sterling reputations as dealers. If a future buyer is outside the Lower 48, I found Patrick to a be a lot more reasonable on shipping in 2020, 2021, I dunno, not that long ago.

Blog Entries
    What size blade replacement blade should I order for the Stanley No. 52? 2 1/8"?
    That is the size my reference book calls out. I'll try to remember to check mine next time I'm in the shop. (Though I haven't been out there for a while)

jtk

Jim Bode and Patrick Leach are frequent recommendations. I haven't bought from either one but am on Patrick Leach's mailing list and it's probably good reading for a newbie, get exposed to lots of information. Can sign up here:
    http://www.supertool.com/oldtools.htm

The only other common recommendation I can think of is hyperkitten.com

But honestly I would use the sawmill creek classifieds as my first resource.