Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for woodshop safety test

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    Hi All,

I'll be joining a new woodshop soon and there's a safety test I need to pass. There's one question on the test that's thrown me for a loop. "How many edges of a workpiece must be supported during a dado cut on the table saw". I believe it's two edges (using a mitre gauge it'd be like a cross cut on the table saw where you support the edge on the back and also apply some pressure on the front while doing the cut. Is that right? I also typically use a clamp on the top to support the piece downwards on only one side of the cut)

Thanks in advance!

Luis
    When are you using 2 or more edges to cut on a tablesaw? Or less than 1 edge?

The answer is one.

how wide is the piece, how long is the piece where is the dadoe. its written like a riddle. OP you believe its two edges, what if the piece is 30" wide and you are cross cutting, you wont support that with your mitre gauge.

Focus shoiuld be on answering the question not trying to figure out what they are asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flNKV_CgYYk

Is there a cut where you use a miter gauge and the rip fence at the same time ?
    1 edge is my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    Is there a cut where you use a miter gauge and the rip fence at the same time ?
    1 edge is my choice.
    You can use the mitre gauge and fence as long as it is a non thru cut like a dado. Again the question is poorly worded and depends on what you consider "supported" and "edge".

Agree with the poorly worded question, and suspect whoever wrote it intended the key word be 'support'.

I vote two, the table and the miter gage or fence.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Agree with the poorly worded question, and suspect whoever wrote it intended the key word be 'support'.

I vote two, the table and the miter gage or fence.
    +1 - The 'edge' (throwing in a bit of geometry definition) is "where an object ends", so the edge in this case is where you get splinters, or where the planes of 2 surfaces meet.

You need 2 SURFACES to be supported. As Mr. Potter outlines.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-30-2023 at 1:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    +1 - The 'edge' (throwing in a bit of geometry definition) is "where an object ends", so the edge in this case is where you get splinters, or where the planes of 2 surfaces meet.

You need 2 SURFACES to be supported. As Mr. Potter outlines.
    By your own logic wouldn't you answer one? 2 SURFACES = 1 edge + 1 face. So if I asked you "how many edges" wouldn't you say one?

I think we all agree the question is dumb, we're just splitting hairs

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    Hi All,

I'll be joining a new woodshop soon and there's a safety test I need to pass. There's one question on the test that's thrown me for a loop. "How many edges of a workpiece must be supported during a dado cut on the table saw". I believe it's two edges (using a mitre gauge it'd be like a cross cut on the table saw where you support the edge on the back and also apply some pressure on the front while doing the cut. Is that right? I also typically use a clamp on the top to support the piece downwards on only one side of the cut)

Thanks in advance!

Luis
    For me, all sides I can get! Remember the table of the saw is a supporting surface. The minimum then is two. Even with an RAS, I'm thinking 3. Table, fence and clamp(s). YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    By your own logic wouldn't you answer one? 2 SURFACES = 1 edge + 1 face. So if I asked you "how many edges" wouldn't you say one?

I think we all agree the question is dumb, we're just splitting hairs
    Euclid would say an edge is not a surface. Sorry, still 2.

And this passed ‘hair-splitting’ several posts back. It is passing thru cellular-, and may soon see nano-scale splitting.

They may be thinking after it is cut both sides of the dado should be touching the table unlike a rabbit cut. Or they mean use the miter gauge and do not have it touching the fence when the work reaches the blade and starts cutting. use a spacer block attached to the fence?
    Bil lD

I think I figured out what they are getting at.

Picture making a dado in a dowel. No edges, not safe.

Now picture making a dado in a half round. Curved side down- one edge against the miter gauge, not safe. Flat side down- one edge against the miter gauge, the other contacting the table, safe.

But then if one dadoed square stock with a corner down and a corner against the miter gauge, that would not be good.

Oh well...