Thread: Wheel Barrow Handles - GRRR!

Wheel Barrow Handles - GRRR!

Used to be Jackson wheel barrows came with white oak handles, which lasted forever. Then they shifted to some kind of mahogany, which also weathered well. Not as long as white oak though. Now handles are made from whatever hardwood they can buy cheapest, and only last about two years. These are working wheel barrows that live out in the weather. Steel handles are very uncomfortable to my hands. Has anyone ACTUALLY made replacement handles for a wheel barrow, using white oak? Hardest part would be actually turning the round part of handle, but I could build a jig to use router to do this.

These have been good ones. Amazon says I bought them in Feb. 2021. That wheelbarrow stays outside too, and they're still fine.

https://www.amazon.com/AMES-Companie...07&sr=8-2&th=1

Amazon shows a bunch of choices. I don't remember why I chose these, but they couldn't be better.

Different issue, but with steel tubes and glued plastic grips that come off, I've had good results screwing the grips on with washer head screws.

A few years ago I needed to replace the handles on my wheelbarrow (for the second time). I think the first time I bought replacement handles, this time I decided to make my own. My research said Ash was the best choice, went to a local hardwood supplier and in part because of what they had in stock and their cutting policy ( they had minimum length for the offcut otherwise it would be too short to sell) the wood for the handle (with lots of leftover wood) was over $100. No way I was investing that in a 30 year old wheelbarrow. As I drove out of the lot I saw a pile of shipping dunnage in a lot nearby for free. Not sure what the wood is but a substantial hardwood (maybe Poplar) that has lasted over 5 years outside in all weather. No need to turn the round ends, just carve them to feel good in your hand. So maybe check out some local businesses for shipping material.

Oval with the long axis vertical feels better in my hands. Bicycle handlebar tape helps.
    BilL D

I made some wheelbarrow handles at the farm from 8/4 ash. A 1/2" roundover bit makes a pretty good handle, though a bigger one would be closer to round. I used to sell ash for $1 a board foot there, so it was not expensive to buy enough for a wheelbarrow. If you can find a sawmill nearby that might be a possibility.

Several years ago, my next door neighbor needed new handles but couldn't find wood replacements. Since all of my Dad's shovels were Ash (curly, no less) handles and are still going strong after 50+ years, I cut him a pair from 8/4 Ash. He shaped the grips and finished with some type of oil. He keeps his barrow outside and the handles still look as good as new.

Make sure though that the grain runs straight the entire length. Any grain runout is inviting a break.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 08-30-2023 at 10:24 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

It's always good practice to brush some linseed oil on the handles every year.

Re making them, it's pretty simple- just use a spoke shave for the handle end. The last thing it needs to be is perfectly round.

And if you're feeling frisky, when you have it all taken apart, sand the outside of the bucket and hit it with 4-5 heavy coats of Rust-O-Le Um. Or however they spell it.

I've got one with a broken handle, and a broken tool handle for a replacement, but haven't gotten around to it, maybe because that thing always seemed to have a slow leak in spite of multiple repairs. Two others are in better shape, with airless tires, so it probably won't happen.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago my father fixed up an old wheel barrow and gave it to me.

He used square aluminum tube to make the handles.

Wheel Barrow.jpg

A few years later some wood handles were made. One end of the wood was worked to be a tight fitting tenon to go into the extruded tubing. They were driven in with a mallet.

Handle Close Up.jpg

I'm not sure what wood was used, it might be ash.

These images are over 9 years old. This used to get left outside, especially before the wood was added. Now it is usually kept inside our greenhouse.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bought a lifetime supply of Ash barrow handles while Ash was plentiful and cheap. Annual linseed oil, no grain runout. Currently I would look at 8/4 hickory and stock up.

Beech I think is currently diseased and might very well be plentiful and cheap the next few years. You might could stock up on beech. Pretty darn heavy for striking tool handles, but should be fine for barrow handles.

I have a procedure for wooden tool handles, most of which come sprayed with a lacquer. The first step is to sand off any factory applied finish down to smooth bare wood. I take boiled linseed oil and cut it about 30-40% with either naphtha or mineral spirits and apply 2 coats. I then add a final coat almost 100%BLO and rub out. This works on my wheelbarrow which is now 30 years old and doing just fine with a new coat of BLO applied every 2-3 years. Doing this to the barrow handles and garden tool handles and shovels also has the added benefit of helping to avoid blistered hands when working ungloved.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH