Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preyda stones are not flat (flatten a fine stone??)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I sounds like you have never learned to use an Arkansas stone. The finer stones have finer crevices. If you cut coarse crevices in a fine stone, the crevices will do the cutting and the stone will not polish as it should.
    I am really annoyed that I cannot find the original link AND I did not document it as I am prone to doing, so.... <sad face>

In my mind, it was something at Tools For Woodworking (Gramercy), but at this point I think I was wrong.... But who ever it was, they were selling Washita stones and advocating that you would dress your new stones so that one side was finer and the other side coarser. I even saw someone selling one on eBay that had been prepared that way and then never used.

If I remember, the finer side left a smoother surface. For sure, this Hard Black stone that I was running on a coarse SIC is much rougher to the feel and there is no way it will leave a smooth surface even if the only reason is because it will not have a consistent smooth surface so the scratches will not be uniform and tight together. Unsure who that would translate into faster metal removal.

With my water stones, the binder is soft compared to an Arkansas stone. I would expect, therefore, that any rough surface would then wear down pretty quickly off a water stone. But I am unsure about that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Jim,

Is your set of three flat? 2 out of 3 out of flat feels very bad.

I never had a problem with a stone from Dan's. They cost more but I perceive them as better than the rest, not that I am sufficiently good to know if this is correct.
    I have never really checked them. They didn't rock in use.

I'm very happy with my Dan's stones and do not regret the cost of ownership.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dan's flattening prices from 2019

11 ½ x 2 ½ x ½ Black, $18.77
    11 ½ x 2 ½ x ½ Translucent $24.37
    Plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Raf, I am not disputing what you do here, but have a question about the use of the finer grit …

It has long been a puzzle for me why some recommend coarse grits to flatten stones at the coarser end of the spectrum, and finer grits for stones at the finer end of the spectrum. The point is, as I believe, the result in honing comes from the grit in the stone and not the surface treatment of the stone.

I use the same coarser grit (140 diamond stone) to maintain all my waterstones. In the case of these oil stones I would use the 90 grit SIC powder or the diamond equivalent.
    The coarser grit will cut more aggressively, so the process is faster with them. The grit breaks down fairly quickly, so even if you start coarse, one ends with a finer slurry until you refresh it with fresh grit.

I suppose finer grits are preferred with finer stones because otherwise the surface would be left all scratched up. I should point out that on softer stones than a typical washita, using the coarse (around 90x) grit leaves a very rough unusable surface, in my case they were a slate, and some waterstones. After the coarse grit, I used finer grits until a uniform surface was achieved.

I have about a couple dozen sharpening stones, mostly washitas. The fine ones are Arkansas (Dan's and Norton) and those came my way in good shape, so I didn't need to lap them. Some of the washitas, indias, crystolons arrived in need of some lapping. The infrequent need to flatten and trying to wear them evenly is one of the reasons I prefer the washitas and the Indias over water stones.

Maintaining oilstones or waterstones with a diamond stone should work, the amount to remove is small compared to what's needed when they're dished or clogged. It's in that case where the coarse grit saves you time.

There's one last point to be made. Once you start using a relatively low wear oilstone like an India, washita or an arkansas, the roughness left from the manufacturer's lapping or your own refurbishing lapping wears off. I think they say that the stone "has settled". It's around that cutting power that one works with when using these stones, not their behavior freshly lapped. One could rough them up with a coarse stone, but that just adds time to the process and may not be needed.

I am really annoyed that I cannot find the original link AND I did not document it as I am prone to doing, so.... <sad face>

In my mind, it was something at Tools For Woodworking (Gramercy), but at this point I think I was wrong.... But who ever it was, they were selling Washita stones and advocating that you would dress your new stones so that one side was finer and the other side coarser. I even saw someone selling one on eBay that had been prepared that way and then never used.
    TFWW had a limited run of Norton (supposedly) Lily White Washitas a while ago. Production of those stones was discontinued by Norton.

I don't know where this advise came from. My personal opinion is that it's nonsense, once the stone settles, there will be no difference between sides unless you lap the stone periodically. That sounds to me like a good way to waste away the stone.

If you lean on the tool hard, the washita will cut aggressively. If you lean on the tool less hard, it will polish. You feel in your fingers the grinding action of the stone.

I started with 80 grit

Attachment 507031

After about 10 minutes, the soft stone was sufficiently flat that I called it good.
    I don't know if the amount of grit you're using is counterproductive or not. I use a very small amount in comparison. A typical lapping session of an old washita looks like this. Once the slurry becomes too fine I add a similar amount as in the middle picture. A large amount of grit won't form a flat grinding layer. The first and last pictures are a before and after look. The stone wasn't terribly dished, but it wasn't flat. The whole thing took about 15 minutes.

20220823_213955.jpg20220823_214747.jpg20220823_221420.jpg

Regarding your hard arkansas, if they're bellied, they may not be that easy to lap. Just rubbing them on the plate might wear the highs and lows and you will be chasing your tail. Localized pressure on the high area might help. I really don't know.

Another consideration is that since these stones were meant as a knife sharpening kit, flat or bellied really makes no difference if they're going to be used for that purpose.

Bench sharpening stones need to be flat.

Do whatever you need to do to get it acceptably flat. Then wear in the new surface by lapping some chisel or plane iron backs on it. Very hard or high wear resistance steels would be ideal to speed up the process.

Anyways, I think you'll find that most of the roughness comes out pretty quickly, and then it will slowly get finer with use.

I never knew how much grit to use. If I want to remove the belly I need to have just a small concentrated area of grit and then push just the belly through the grit, which has proven to be difficult at best, Would be easier with less grit. Given that I paid about $50 for the set of three stones, it is not worth the time to finish trying to flatten the black stone; it is pretty far out of flat on both sides.

The stone is not even flat width wise with a dip one corner. There is a lot wrong with this stone. I just wish I had noticed earlier. This did convince me to go back over my other stones and take a look.

I took another try at the Preyda Black Hard. The Soft was not as far out and it had waves across the width and lengthwise it was not as far out as the black. No clearly defined belly, at least not a large one.

For a really bad stone, I just mark up the stone with a pencil and then find a fairly flat slab of concrete at my house and grind the stone on my porch or driveway, while running water from a hose. I use a random pattern to compensate for any deviations in the concrete. Then just keep going until the pencil marks are all gone. Having a giant surface makes it a lot easier and quicker to work because you can take much longer strokes. It still takes a while though.

If the stone isn't too bad, I have a flattening stone to bring it back to true. The flattening stone is the way to go because it's a little more accurate and easy to work with, but if you're having to remove a ton of material, you'll likely put a warp in that stone before you get your initial stone flat.

Preyda finally got back to me. I guess my message was bounced around. Preyda said "send the not flat stones, we will flatten them, and send you another stone for your trouble".

I absolutely did not expect that. I told them that i already flattened one and that I tried to flatten the other. They may not want it after I roughed up one side, but will see. I was not expecting the response. Good on them!

I sent the three stones back to Preyda. The state I sent them? One was completely flat out of the box. One was flat because I flattened it. The Black hard was not flat when I received it and it was not flat when I sent it to them. In fact, I had simply made the stone thinner and not flat. It is really difficult for me to remove the belly of an Arkansas stone.

So what did Preyda send back to me? I sent them three stones and they sent back four stones. All of the stones were received as dead flat based on my tools (which means better than 0.001" because the straight edge I used is listed as 0.001" over 12").

I sent them a Soft, Hard, and Black Hard. I received all of these back and a Surgical Black. Preyda claims that this is their finest stone

see

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....rkansas-Stones

PREYDA_PXL_20231019_172026763.jpg
    PREYDA_PXL_20231019_172057245.jpg

The stone is 1/2" thick but the box allows for a much thicker stone. Part of me thinks that this is smart (same box for all stones of similar dimensions ignoring thickness) and part of me is annoyed because the stone can move around top to bottom.

If you look carefully you will see magnets that do a great job holding the box shut. I am ashamed that I never thought of doing this. The magnets work really well and are a nice touch.

This next photo shows that the stone is sitting in a rubber thing in that box. This means that the box is wider than the stone. This rubber bit works really well at keeping the stone from sliding in use. A pretty nice touch. I am pretty impressed with this.

PREYDA_PXL_20231019_172120081.jpg

I am really pleased with these stones and I am impressed that Preyda replaced all the stones, even after I had clearly messed with one of them. And, they threw in one of their best stones to say sorry for the trouble.

Glad to hear they took care of you. I've wondered quite about their "Arkansas water stones" and whether they were any good.

If you live anywhere near the middle of Ohio, you can try preyda, Dan's, best, and maybe some others.