Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dining table woods?

Blog Entries
    Kind of depends on what look you want.

I would probably use ribbon Sapele.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

design dictates to a fair amount. If i did a miami art deco id probably use birdseye. If I did shaker id probably use Cherry. The choice of materials grain pattern and board size enter as well. Friend who is great car builder and great cabinetmaker does Art Deco stuff. Be bored with stuff ive done. He uses birdseye and combinations to accent and woods that look like quilted maple highly figured veneers dont remember the name. Cherry would not even make sense on his work

Also depends on where its going and what is in the rest of the place if its supposed to match or contrast. Design affects material choice.

Salmon is often cooked on cedar planks. Maple is common for cutting boards.
    Bill D

I realize you requested “domestic hardwoods, but figured I’d throw out my vote for Jatoba, 6CB4B0FD-C88B-4FDD-BBAF-32B4FEFC7934.jpg Just finished this for a visit from the grandchildren.

Clint

What is in the rest of the room?

In order of preference. All Q-sawn to Riftsawn. No flat sawn tops.
    1. Cherry. It's very neutral, and the redish hue can contrast and work with a lot of different room colors. Can appear airy and casual, or very formal.
    2. Walnut. More formal in appearance. Needs to match the room. A big walnut table brings a lot of presence to a room. Don't "Duncan and Phyfe" it though. That is an old tired motif.
    3.Maple. Has to work with the room, and the chairs. Beautiful when done well.
    4. QSWO. You have to be careful with QSWO, or you end up with a table that looks as if it were a crate, turned upside down and sanded. Done right, it's stunning!

The biggest problem is getting enough of a run of boards that match in color and grain to make the top. I've never been a fan of stains, so I drive myself nuts picking material.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

When we remodeled the kitchen LOML wanted something different than the 1950's Lloyd Manufacturing hand me down that we had. I don't have the means to build a dining table, so we went shopping. We ended up buying a Amish made table that is hickory. She picked the style and color and I'm happy with her choice. The elm table they had on display had some stunning figure to it, sometimes I wish that would have been the choice, but if she's happy.....well you know the rest. Not long ago someone had posted pictures of an elm dining table they made but I don't remember who.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

old guy did his whole kitchen in hickory. Cheap grade all crap cut out and laid out with care. Mortise and tennon no cope and stick.

8 years ago we remodeled the kitchen and it opens into the dining area separated only by an island. The new kitchen cabinets and the island are a stained hickory.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    8 years ago we remodeled the kitchen and it opens into the dining area separated only by an island. The new kitchen cabinets and the island are a stained hickory.
    Ah, hickory it is than. Just think of all the fun you’ll have making matching chairs, carving all those seats and shaping all of the spindles.
    Jim

Walnut. SWMBO wanted a dark finish, and I did not want to stain. It also fits the style of the furniture. So, I built all the dining room furniture out of walnut. Luckily there is not a lot of direct sunlight in the dining room (with the shutters angled upward), so it has not faded.
    Chris

Quality of the stash would be the determining factor for me. So much junk these days!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Oh man, I really wouldn't want to make a dining table top out of hickory. I mean, unless I felt really guilty about something and thought I needed to punish myself somehow lol.
    Hickory is pretty easy to work with. I've made a number of pieces of furniture from it. The only down side I've found is the weight. The pieces you see below are all solid hickory. .hheadboard.jpgsuedresser.jpgleedresser.jpgIMG_2716.jpgIMG_2718.jpgIMG_2719.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, firstly, nice work there - all fine pieces.

I find hickory a little difficult to cooperate personally and also feel its hard on edged tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Too much of almost anything gets boring, IMO. I'd use something that compliments the hickory color in a closed pore wood, maybe maple because it's pretty color stable, unlike cherry (A personal favorite but the color is always changing unless you hide it under stain, for which anyone who does should be banned from using cherry ever again!). Quartersawn hard maple is subtle elegance for me.

John