Thread: Resin Casting and Turning question

Question Resin Casting and Turning question

Went to a Woodcraft and Rockler store yesterday while on a trip and picked up some new items to learn to use. I’m hopeful that others on here can point me to the best websites to checkout for additional learning and tips, as well as products.

I picked up some silicone molds, a pressure pot, mold release, a 2lb Alumilite Clear Slow set urethane, and a set of dyes. I also ordered some additional Alumilite clear, a scale, and some of the powders (metallic, etc), mix cups and stir sticks from Alumilite. The molds I picked up are for pens, rings and handles/wine toppers. Orlando Woodcraft gave me the sale price on the pressure pot too even though it ended a day or two ago. Very nice of them.

I grabbed a book but as this will be my first rodeo for urethane/epoxy work, I’m open to any and all tips as well as anything else I need to get started. Thanks for any additional guidance.

71538427239__435749AB-FCDA-45F6-9E40-0703C773C4D8.jpg
    71538428017__0E6ED695-4B1C-43F2-BE7B-84DB937E92D2.jpg
    71538429123__DE9924DC-3755-404E-AFDC-02C6A89353FA.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-02-2023 at 6:39 PM.

If you do any hybrid blanks with wood and urethane, the wood has to be bone dry. Even the standard 6-8% can cause the urethane to foam.

On YouTube

Jake Thompson - always doing a live show on Saturdays...mostly pen blanks, bottle stoppers. Entertaining for sure. Occasionally he does a bowl or HF from odd pieces of burl. His form is not very good....IMO
    Zac Higgins - I think Jake learned from him..
    Wood, Resin, Timelapse, Drone, Paint...ArtForOUR - Dan Preece - this guy does anything but pens blanks.

Both Jake and Zac have good How To videos. Watch Those for sure. Zac is an Alumilite guy. Jake is a Total Boat guy.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If you do any hybrid blanks with wood and urethane, the wood has to be bone dry. Even the standard 6-8% can cause the urethane to foam.
    Thanks Richard. I do hope to try some hybrid blanks so that is good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland View Post
    On YouTube

Jake Thompson - always doing a live show on Saturdays...mostly pen blanks, bottle stoppers. Entertaining for sure. Occasionally he does a bowl or HF from odd pieces of burl. His form is not very good....IMO
    Zac Higgins - I think Jake learned from him..
    Wood, Resin, Timelapse, Drone, Paint...ArtForOUR - Dan Preece - this guy does anything but pens blanks.

Both Jake and Zac have good How To videos. Watch Those for sure. Zac is an Alumilite guy. Jake is a Total Boat guy.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks Chip. I’ll look for both on YouTube to see what they offer. I’d love to find a video showing the processes from start to finish so this will be great. Thanks.

Alumilite has a YT channel with loads of videos including a Basics, too.

https://www.youtube.com/@AlumiliteCorporation/playlists