Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All thread for floating shelves?

All thread for floating shelves?

I have to make 3 floating shelves that are 10ft long x 10" deep, approx 1.5" thick. I know there are plenty of manufactured steel brackets like Sheppard Brackets, but id love to save some money and use some 1/2-3/4" all thread if possible. The all thread would be inserted directly into the stud, and then into corresponding holes on the back of the shelves.

Has anyone taken this approach before? Is it stronger if I just use sheppard brackets?

Thanks in advance!

Allthread will be less stiff than rod of the same size, so not the best good choice unless used as a bolt. I made a mantle once from a big chunk of wood, & used 1/2" iron pipe, drilling the holes at a slight angle so the wood stayed tight to the wall.

Another possibility would be large lag bolts, cutting the heads off after installing in the wall.

Rebar and black pipe are cheaper and stiffer.

Blog Entries
    The shelves you see above the filing cabinet are 9-1/2" x 40" x 3/4" thick and are each supported by two 3/8"x 10" steel rods from one of the big box stores.IMG_2716.jpg
    For your 1.5 inch shelves I would use 1/2" or 3/4" rods into the studs and back edge of the board.

You will need a jig to match the spacing of the holes in the studs to the back side of the shelves. Make sure your wall is plumb and the jig will drill your holes perfectly horizontal and perpendicular to the wall both vertically and horizontally. Use a drill press for the holes in the edge of the shelf so that they are exactly parallel to the shelf surface and perpendicular to the edge.

Drill rod would be stiffer than cold rolled steel rods to prevent sagging due to weight.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-02-2023 at 9:53 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My shop hanging shelves use 3/4" turnbuckles tied to pipe across the trusses.
    BilLD

At what point is drilling into a stud too much? I only see charts for drilling into the face not the edge. Notching is never allowed. I would think 1/2 pipe(3/4" OD) into 1.5" edge would remove more then 50% of the load bearing capacity.
    Bill D

10'? I don't envy you trying to get all those holes lined up. On a lot of homes, it will take scribing to get a 10' board to sit tight to the wall. I'd go with two 5' pieces. Good luck
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 09-03-2023 at 12:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    At what point is drilling into a stud too much? I only see charts for drilling into the face not the edge. Notching is never allowed. I would think 1/2 pipe(3/4" OD) into 1.5" edge would remove more then 50% of the load bearing capacity.
    Bill D
    Not all walls are load bearing. Studs are also in compression, not bending.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've previously used the method Cameron suggested for a mantle, sinking lag bolts then cutting off the heads. I made a template to match the back of the mantle which allowed drilling the matching holes pretty straightforward. Made the holes in the mantle slightly oversized and filled with construction adhesive.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Couple of ideas linked below, Youtube is loaded with "The Best" floating shelf products and methods of all time.
    Why try to guess something to use when there are commercial products out there that could make your job easier.
    Just a suggestion, you are the boss of your work.
    calabrese55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tBv0Dqb_Hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTf5frrdrh4
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Make the shelf an inch or two wider than you need. Drill holes for the rods on your drill press (I like one inch plain steel). Rip the extra off the back of the shelf and fasten to the wall as a drill guide.

Make the shelf from two pieces of half inch plywood, separated by occasional spacers one inch thick. Except where the spacers are, there's a 1"-tall airspace the whole length of the shelf. Your supports go into that airspace. There's no struggle with drilling deep holes into the back of the shelf, and no problems with aligning the supports with the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Make the shelf from two pieces of half inch plywood, separated by occasional spacers one inch thick. Except where the spacers are, there's a 1"-tall airspace the whole length of the shelf. Your supports go into that airspace. There's no struggle with drilling deep holes into the back of the shelf, and no problems with aligning the supports with the holes.
    +1 for this method! Simplifies just about everything.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I like this. Still, use a guide for installing the supports perpendicular to the wall.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Sheppard brackets work really well, they are stiffer than all thread, or rebar. This allows for solid wood shelves, which looks a lot better than edged plywood.
    JonathanJungDesign.com