Thread: Kitchen Island Complete … aka the last 11 months of my life

Kitchen Island Complete … aka the last 11 months of my life

My wife really wanted a hybrid kitchen island combining a European-style farm table with some cabinetry and also seating. No problem I said. The woodworking techniques are all pretty straightforward, but the design and sheer size of this thing (100” x 60”) presented some challenges. And we had to accommodate plumbing and electrical as well. I did a complete SketchUp model before I even started milling lumber so I knew exactly how I was going to assemble on site. By far the largest project I’ve ever taken on, but me and the wifey-poo are really happy how it turned out.

Kitchen Island MASTER.jpgIMG_2598.jpgIMG_2597.jpgIMG_2603.jpgIMG_2599.jpgIMG_2605.jpgIMG_2461.jpgIMG_2460.jpg
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Definitely something to be proud of.

Not much to say except outstanding job.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    That is just beautiful. I cannot show this to LOML or we will have to get a bigger house.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tom

Very nice work, and it looks great in your Kitchen.
    Big work like that is hard to get square. On smaller projects you can kind of cheat square, but on big stuff no way. Out of square will quickly reveal itself.
    Once again, well done.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Beautiful piece of work Tom. Those large projects can be challenging. I like the contrast between the base and the top. BTW, what material is the top?

Very nice!!

But just like a top I made for one of similar size a few years ago, that's not an "island"...it's a "continent"!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Beautiful piece of work Tom. Those large projects can be challenging. I like the contrast between the base and the top. BTW, what material is the top?
    John — thanks, the top is a quartzite (natural stone) that my wife picked out. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Looks fantastic, and a great addition to any home!!

Gorgeous! Worth all the time you put in!

Great looking kitchen and island - excellent work!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Tom, great job. I really like the leg treatment; well proportioned and quite attractive.

If you ever feel the need for more practice, come on over to my house!

Best, Patrick

Blog Entries
    Very, very nice – love the design seem super practical! Must've been a real bear hauling the completed components on-site for assembly. Dude I'm sure you know you just set yourself up for a lifetime of projects from your better half – here's hoping she's not looking to replace the kitchen cabinets anytime soon!

Cheers, Mike