Thread: German Smoking Figure

German Smoking Figure

One of the demos I attended at SWAT was on German Smoking Figures by Colwin Way. They are used to burn incense in and the smoke comes out the mouth. Naturally, I had to try to make one and since today is my sons birthday, I did a Fireman theme smoker for his desk at headquarters. First attempt came out pretty good, just need to get my steps down to cut down on the amount of time to make one. Will definitely be making more of these, the possibilities for themes are endless. The wood is Maple and African Blackwood for the shoes and the pole hook is a square cut nail that I filed and a Dremel with grinding stone to shape it. It stands about 7'' tall and ~4 wide.

Bobby
    Louisiana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby McCarley View Post
    One of the demos I attended at SWAT was on German Smoking Figures by Colwin Way. They are used to burn incense in and the smoke comes out the mouth. Naturally, I had to try to make one and since today is my sons birthday, I did a Fireman theme smoker for his desk at headquarters. First attempt came out pretty good, just need to get my steps down to cut down on the amount of time to make one. Will definitely be making more of these, the possibilities for themes are endless. The wood is Maple and African Blackwood for the shoes and the pole hook is a square cut nail that I filed and a Dremel with grinding stone to shape it. It stands about 7'' tall and ~4 wide.

Bobby
    Louisiana

I agree, really cool.

Is there a concern for it being a fire hazard? Not being into the incense scene I have no idea how much fire they produce when burning.

While anything that deals with fire can be considered a hazard, incense, once lit the fire goes out and it just smolders and smokes. That is the purpose of putting a metal holder or in this case a bottle cap to place the incense in. These type of incense holders have been around since the early 1700's, and I am sure there have been some fires associated with them, it's like all things that are hazardous, take the proper precautions and don't just light it and forget about it.

Bobby

Really cool, are the pieces all turned on a lathe?

We brought a few of these back from Germany, and they're part of our Christmas decor. It looks like a good craft show item.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Tim, yes, everything is turned on the lathe, except the bottle cap. Its a 10-2-4 bottle cap for those old enough to remember and enjoy them.

Bobby
    Louisiana

Really cool. It's a bit hard to pick out, but is there just holes at the waist level to bring in fresh air, while it exits out the top? I think I might make one of these. Also nice wood working, and nice job with the paint, the lines are very crisp and straight.

Andrew, yes, there are four holes in the platform piece. Two of the holes are to line up and attach the legs using dowels and the other two holes act as draft holes when the top is put in place. Definitely give them a try, a good skill project. Also, if you get a chance, watch the Colwin Way live demo on making these on October 4th, https://www.thewoodturningstore.com/events. If you miss it, he has a two part You Tube video, just search his name.

Santa German Smoking Figure2.jpg

Bobby
    Louisiana