Thread: Something Out of Nothing

Something Out of Nothing

I found this video pretty interesting. He did a great job of turning scrap wood into a pretty amazing project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5rLjefkSc

I really like his channel. He has built a lot of nice pieces from just scrap.

I've seen a number of folks on the 'Tube that have participated in "scrap wood challenges" or who specialized in recycling/upcycling for projects. One fellow, Tim Sway, is well known for using the skins from hollow core closet doors headed to the landfill for building excellent guitars and basses. Some upcycle for shop fixtures and workstations. Some take the ugliest stuff and turn it into visual masterpieces. There's a good lesson to be learned from all this and it's great for any of us to challenge ourselves in the same way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've seen a number of folks on the 'Tube that have participated in "scrap wood challenges" or who specialized in recycling/upcycling for projects. One fellow, Tim Sway, is well known for using the skins from hollow core closet doors headed to the landfill for building excellent guitars and basses. Some upcycle for shop fixtures and workstations. Some take the ugliest stuff and turn it into visual masterpieces. There's a good lesson to be learned from all this and it's great for any of us to challenge ourselves in the same way.
    I know when I started I couldnt afford to buy much wood so this is very motivating.

The one thing im curious about is the nails. I dont see them much or at all in anyone elses woodworking videos. He seems to make good use of them.

Not just nails but mustard for glue . My experience with nails is they do hold enough to justify their use. But also allow for some wood movement.
    I like using recycled wood for rustic projects ,dings ,scratches and poor joinery it’s all good.
    Aj