Thread: Building a corner desk out of Oak?

Building a corner desk out of Oak?

I have some white oak, just plain sawn, I plan to use to match an antique from my grandfathers office from his work, and I need to also use some oak plywood with it. Most of what I am finding locally is red oak plywood and I had 2 ?'s Corner desk is designed to breakdown and reassemble.

1. I plan to edge the ply with 1" to 1-1/2" wide frame of the solid oak wood I have on hand for joinery and to cover the edges of the ply. How will these take the stain?

2. Would this be OK to use? Box stores are selling C grade and this is at lease a B grade.

Thanks Brian

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/hardwood-panels/3-4-x-4-x-8-classic-red-oak-wood-veneer-core-plywood/1251795/p-1547710304075-c-13334.htm?tid=0c74d041-3bb1-4886-81d5-730daf0fdc12&ipos=4&exp=false

Brian

A specialty plywood supplier should be able to provide you with white oak veneer plywood for your project. There is going to be a difference between the red oak ply and the white oak solid stock for sure unless you are coloring it very dark. Even then, there may be a hue difference. Big box oak plywood is often not very attractive looking, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A specialty plywood supplier should be able to provide you with white oak veneer plywood for your project. There is going to be a difference between the red oak ply and the white oak solid stock for sure unless you are coloring it very dark. Even then, there may be a hue difference. Big box oak plywood is often not very attractive looking, too.
    My one local high quality lumber guy sells 3/4 ply in red oak or quarter sawn. I am on the hunt. Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    1. I plan to edge the ply with 1" to 1-1/2" wide frame of the solid oak wood I have on hand for joinery and to cover the edges of the ply. How will these take the stain?
    It largely depends on the stain you're going to use. I've done this exact thing before, mixing red and white oak for reasons out of my control. I used Rubio Monocoat Cotton White but I did a pre-stain of mint. The mint pre-color works to dilute the difference in color between red and white oak and the final Cotton White gives it a milky natural appearance. To this day you wouldn't know the difference in wood unless I told you. That said, not all stains will behave the same, so depending on the design you may have to lean into the difference rather than try to hide it.

I've used that Menards plywood before.
    It's ok, but, as Jim pointed out - it isn't real attractive.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My one local high quality lumber guy sells 3/4 ply in red oak or quarter sawn. I am on the hunt. Thanks brian
    See if you can find an alternative supplier for the "good stuff", even if it's a bit farther. Many will deliver anyway for free or a fee, depending on order size. In my geography, I use Industrial Plywood out of Reading PA and have not been disappointed. They've also been good if I did get a bad sheet, replacing it on the next regular delivery day for my area. No charge for delivery for a $300+ order other than an eleven buck fuel surcharge. If you could find a place like that it would be really good for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What's a milky natural appearance? I've never seen natural oak look milky. White oak has grey tones and red, well as the name implies. At least that is what comes to Central IL

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What's a milky natural appearance? I've never seen natural oak look milky. White oak has grey tones and red, well as the name implies. At least that is what comes to Central IL
    The milky or the pre-color of Mint is not the natural part. The natural was specific to the base stain color which adds little to no coloring. It is a very common technique on many mid-century modern pieces.

I would find a local cabinet shop in your area that will sell you some of theirs,or order it for you.They will have access to much better stuff than buying from a box store.The sheets from box stores will most likely be rotary cut,which isn't very attractive. You will want to get plain sliced to match the lumber you are using.Also specify that you want domestic, not import.The import stuff uses very thin veneer which can be difficult to keep from burning through the veneer when sanding it.
    Last edited by Max Neu; 09-05-2023 at 3:30 PM.

I can't find white oak plywood anywhere within 1 hr drive of Indianapolis. I am going to change the design so I don't need to use plywood in the construction. Two triangles on either side with a pull out keyboard section build it separate that I can drop into the triangle and put the top on. Easy to move this way in 4 pieces and I can build it out of solid white oak. Thanks Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Glad you found an alternative. A blend of red and white oak would not play well IMHO. Interesting that no one has white oak veneer plywood available.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Northwest Lumber has white oak q/s listed, not flat sawn through.

I like your last plan. I have been making everything out of solid wood the last couple years unless plywood is just the only thing that makes sense for the application. I have been using a lot of q/s red oak and the solid is cheaper than a sheet of q/s red oak plywood even though sometimes more work.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    Northwest Lumber has white oak q/s listed, not flat sawn through.

I like your last plan. I have been making everything out of solid wood the last couple years unless plywood is just the only thing that makes sense for the application. I have been using a lot of q/s red oak and the solid is cheaper than a sheet of q/s red oak plywood even though sometimes more work.
    I use them, but I thought the QS ply would look odd with open grain white OAK just as much as using red oak. hanks. Brian
    Brian

I've gotten a few species of plywood from Columbia Forest Products, ordering through home depot. There are multiple thicknesses available and with one or two good sides. A good bonus is if you know the sizes you need they'll laser? cut it for you. I checked a little and they appear to have white oak.

I can't find white oak plywood anywhere within 1 hr drive of Indianapolis. I am going to change the design so I don't need to use plywood in the construction. Two triangles on either side with a pull out keyboard section build it separate that I can drop into the triangle and put the top on. Easy to move this way in 4 pieces and I can build it out of solid white oak. Thanks Brian
    I have mixed red and white oak solid wood together in the same project. You can't tell the difference once it's stained, at least not with the walnut gel stain I used.

You've already changed direction, but keep it mind for a future project. I wouldn't use rotary cut plywood, but plain or rift sawn should work fine.

John