Thread: Looking for a shaper cutter profile

Looking for a shaper cutter profile

I've been trying to find a shaper cutter that makes this simple edge in one pass.
    I've looked at Roundovers, Ovolo's and various table edge profile and can't find one that seems to match.
    I estimate that the board is 1" thick, and that step from the top about an 1/8", but the profile seems to run flat on the top and side for about a 1/4"-3/8".
    I think I can do it in steps, with a 1/2" rounder, but if there is a cutter available, I'd rather use that.
    Thank you for the help.
    IMG_4833 (1).jpg
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Hi Mike, my guess is if this was originally done by a machine it was with a shop made or custom made set of cutters.

The other possibility would be it having been cut using hand planes. This would actually be a fairly easy profile to cut with a rebate (rabbet or fillister plane) and a wider hollow molding plane. The end grain would be run first to allow for any edge chip out to be taken care of when the sides are cut. All the rebates followed by the hollow plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If you get a Byrd shaper head, which has interchangeable cutters, you can get cutters made to any profile you want. Of course this is the $$$$ way to do it. I’m with Jim- it could be fairly easily done with hollows and rounds and a rabbeting plane.

Mike, these are not shaper cutters but they might be what you are looking for.. or get you pretty close as I have shaped edges of 13/16” stock..

https://www.amanatool.com/49563-carb...nch-shank.html

Blog Entries
    I believe I have a router bit that will cut that profile in one pass. Freud-34-127-5/8-Radius

FREUD-34-127-2T copy.jpg

I did a quick google search and found this shaper cutter.
    Screenshot 2023-09-08 214413.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-08-2023 at 9:47 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Believe that profile called Thumnail

Genlemen

Malcolm. Yeah, that's a pretty expensive way to go for one project, but I've been dragging my feet getting an insert shaper head for years, so maybe this will push me.

Robert. That router bit looks interesting. It probably is designed to run at 10KRPM, so it could be used in the shaper.

Lee. That 5/8" shaper cutter looks like it might do. I went through Grizzly, Ballew, Amana, and some other websites and didn't see a 5/8". Plenty of 1/2's and 3/4's.

Carroll. I looked up thumbnail first but was striking out. There is also a profile used for drop leaf tables that should have been close, but the ones I was finding were based on 4/4 stock, and this top will be a true 1"

Once again, Thank you.
    I don't know how I ended up putting this in the classifieds forum, but thank you all for finding it and responding.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford