Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who are your favorite woodworkers of all time?

Joe Calhoon

Michael Pekovich, master woodworker and current editor of Fine Woodworking Magazine.

Dale Barnhard a Greene and Greene style woodworker.

Doug Stowe master box maker.
    Last edited by Roger Davis; 12-24-2023 at 5:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    The guys who trained me..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    The guys who trained me..
    I have to look back and be sure I included Dad and Grandpa. Dad is back in his shop at 85 after 2 episodes of very bad health. There will be handmade items at the extended family Christmas gift exchange.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    gepetto did nice work
    +1 for Gepetto! he knew a good piece of wood when he came across one.

I forgot how cute and clever the Adventures Of Pinocchio book is. My memory is mostly of the the Disney movie. It might be time to read Pinocchio again.

IMG_1788.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-24-2023 at 7:22 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Norm Abrams was my first followed by David Marks. Currently The Wood Whisperer and Blacktail Studios.
    NOW you tell me...

Michael Fortune - who has been a pleasure to speak and learn from, and makes beautiful furniture. Not our style to purchase, but a pleasure to marvel at.
    Sam Maloof - stunning work.
    Cam from Blacktail Studios - not a fan of epoxy furniture, but have built a few pieces for friends who asked for it, and I'm in awe of some of Cam's work.
    Marc Spagnuolo - Just enjoy his videos and wonder just how he can move that often
    Frank Strazza - Teaches a wonderful course on marquetry, and is amazingly talented
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Joseph Walsh is just 'blowing me away': https://www.josephwalshstudio.com/

My all time favorite quote from a great wood work is from the late Sam Maloof who said something along the lines of ", as long as I buy wood I have to live long enough to build something". I understand he lived to age 94 and was still making chairs when he passed on. I aspire to that :-).

Phil Lowe. I was very fortunate to have taken classes with Phil for about 5 years before he passed away. He was as nice as he was talented

I always wanted to take classes with Marc Adam’s. His work was more realistic for me, being little more simpler and not works of art. Something that falls into hobbies level

Roy Underhill. His commentary is enlightening, and by the end of many of his tv shows he was sweating thru his suspenders and his knuckles were bleeding. My kinda guy

I very much like Jory Brigham's work. I first saw him on framework, and very much like the style of his furniture. I did take the TWW guild Hank chair class and build a version of it.

Norm Abram and Marc Spagnoulo are great educators and I enjoy watching them. Norm inspired me to get into furniture and woodworking. I enjoy watching Matt Cremona too, but he does a lot of not-woodworking content I find interesting.