Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question Dogs & Tomatoes

Stupid question Dogs & Tomatoes

Do Dogs eat tomatoes? My wife found a 1/2 eaten one by one of the nearly dead vines and asked if I had left? Nope and later on it was gone??

We have Chipmunks and Squirrels but never saw them interested in any garden produce.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Yes... and other vegetables.... depends on dog (&breed???)
    Our border collie will NOT...
    Our mix of collie & shepherd will eat basically anything... tomatos, squash, zucchini, corn on cob... etc

Our Treeing Walker/Collie/Great Pyrenees mix eats Habaneros and other assorted hot sauces that make humans wince so,,,I put nothing past what a pooch will gobble down.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I had a shepherd that ate tomatoes off the plant. He would catch cherry tomatoes just like dog treats.

Blog Entries
    We had a Cocker spaniel that would pick his own blackberries and peas. He would curl his lips back and use just his front teeth to grip the blackberry to pull it off. He would go up and down the row of peas and find one that was ready to pick, grip it in his teeth and back up until it came off. Then he would chew it just enough to break it open, eat the peas and spit out the hull.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Chipmunks will eat tomatoes in my experience. I don't know about squirrels or dogs.

My border collie mix eats tomatoes all the time. She also loves carrots, peas, and especially bell peppers. She's too smart - plans how to get the bell peppers out of the garden like she's in a bank heist movie.

The boxer mix is indifferent to tomatoes. Loves carrots and peas, though.

Raccoons

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

All the above might eat tomatoes. In my experience, blame the squirrels first. A few years ago the farm plot nearest the woods had many squirrel damaged tomatoes. They even carried some into the woods. Most surprising, my son was walking in the woods and a tomato fell to the ground out of the oak tree. Hate squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    All the above might eat tomatoes. In my experience, blame the squirrels first. A few years ago the farm plot nearest the woods had many squirrel damaged tomatoes. They even carried some into the woods. Most surprising, my son was walking in the woods and a tomato fell to the ground out of the oak tree. Hate squirrels
    Yes, this!

Squirrels. But also opossums if you have them around. Slugs can do some big gouges as well. My dog wont go after any garden item.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Don't leave out the birds. I haven't yet met a chicken that won't go after a tomato.

We used to have muscovy ducks. I was always getting upset at everyone in the house for picking my cherry tomatoes before I could get one. One morning will getting a drink of water at the kitchen sink I saw a perfectly ripe cherry tomato and felt the joy of finally getting one before anyone else in the house was up. As I was drinking my glass of water our largest muscovy walked up to the tomato plant and eyed the tomato. First from one side then the other. Then he opened his mouth and plucked it from the vine. I was in shock watching the large lump slowly travel down his neck.

I had to apologize to everyone else in the house as they laughed when told of the incident.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Squirrels. But also opossums if you have them around. Slugs can do some big gouges as well. My dog wont go after any garden item.
    Ground hogs too.

These lights have kept everything away, including Foxes from the chicken pen enough that rabbits have bred under the Azaleas next to the kitchen complex and are thriving even in sight of Foxes sometimes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if my Border Collie would but my Aussie Cattle dog might, he eats vegetables cooked or raw and cashews. But we do have possums.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10