Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Some electric cars have a road trip problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Biased? Really? What exactly is climate change? I’m old enough to remember multiple times we were warned we were freezing, boiling, about to be killed by ozone, then lack of ozone, then acid rain, then some other hysterical issue designed to drum up grant money and tax rates. It’s hogwash. A hoax. This planet has been pummeled by all manner of celestial objects, volcanos, storms, etc. We tried to poison the atmosphere with coal in the Industrial Age. Mother Nature is a tough broad and anyone who thinks we’ll have an impact on climate by driving a Tesla is delusional.
    I feel that there are normal "earth" factors influencing climate but I think to ignore the pace change has recently grown and scientifically can be shown to agree with human action data is folly. Things like ozone, acid rain were real and their effect has been diminished because of steps taken to change chemical use such as Freon and its cousins, and increased use of scrubbers on plant emissions. Similar to the Year 2000 was a hoax, nothing happened - sure nothing happened because millions and millions of dollars were spent to make sure nothing happened.
    Indeed the air was polluted by coal in the industrial age but years ago the number of factories and the population was far less than today. Phasing out major use of fossil use may have an impact on climate but it remains to be seen if it will be enough of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Will you be able to re-roof without uninstalling the panels?
    No, that's one thing I asked them when they installed. I had a new roof but they tell me that when they install on an older roof they recommend putting new shingles under the solar panels so you can replace around them. The shingles under the panels tend to last a long time because the panels shade them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

i did the math and this really makes economic sense for my lifestyle.
    But seriously yes it does. I currently only work two days a week anymore. We have a second home in the mountains so I spend half the week there and half at the original homestead. It is 3 hours away so I got the EV to make the trip back and forth for a fraction of what driving my truck would cost. Of course driving around town is the ideal use for EVs but if I were going to take a 10 hour trip I would still elect to take my EV, just have to make some 15 to 20 minute stops especially at lunchtime. Because it is also the best driving car I have ever owned.

The Earth's population has doubled twice in my lifetime. Before then, it took many lifetimes to double. If the whole world consumed like we do here, it would have all been over a good while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The Earth's population has doubled twice in my lifetime. Before then, it took many lifetimes to double. If the whole world consumed like we do here, it would have all been over a good while back.
    So true and the people who are suffering and will in the future suffer the most, are the people who consumed the least and thus contributed the least to the problem.

Blog Entries
    I have avoided this thread. It is looking interesting. I hope it stays civil.

I have gotten caught up with this and it is a much nicer version of an alternative energy discussion than usual. Our 22 solar panels continue to make more electricity than we use. I know they in no way provide a solution to such complex problems. They do help me feel some hope and that we have at least tried to do something helpful. We have never owned a new car. I am still on the lookout for an affordable EV even if it is a bicycle.

IMG_1625.jpg IMG_1626.jpg

Keith Otten's point about feeding ourselves is poignant and starting to be a big concern for farmers.
    "Currently, the synthetic ammonia for nitrogen fertilizer uses 3-5 percent of the world’s fossil gas but is projected to account for the largest share of the growth in global oil demand through 2026."
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-26-2023 at 7:42 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I'd say it likely that the Texas Public Policy Foundation has a bias given that it is from a major oil state.
    TPPF might well have a bias. Many of the foundations and corporations that provide funding to TPPF defend and favor fossil fuel industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    No, that's one thing I asked them when they installed. I had a new roof but they tell me that when they install on an older roof they recommend putting new shingles under the solar panels so you can replace around them. The shingles under the panels tend to last a long time because the panels shade them.

Mike
    Going solar is helping to make metal roofing more popular because its lifespan can be substantially longer than even the best 50 year shingles you can buy. Had I decided to move forward with solar two years ago (I didn't because in the end, it was clear we would not be here physically for more than 10-15 years and the primary purpose was for backup power) I would have wanted to re-roof with metal first since it's likely the current shingle roof is more than 15 years old already and they are clearly not 50 year shingles.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    , about to be killed by ozone, then lack of ozone,
    Rob, I'll pick out just one example. I assume you're talking about the "hole in the ozone layer". Yes, CFCs caused this. We recognized it, came up with collaborative international agreements (the Montreal protocol), and halted further damage. This is an example of science and policy "working". It makes me optimistic we can make similar progress on other issues.

So... some places still in the throes of winter, some places in transition, and some places (like the low deserts) don't really experience much below 40F (and no snow)...
    How did the electric vehicles fare in the ultra cold, snowy areas?
    Some make/ models cope better than others?
    I read that loss of charge was one of the biggest problems.
    What about access to chargers when you are traveling a long distance through areas with heavy snowfall?
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post

What about access to chargers when you are traveling a long distance through areas with heavy snowfall?
    Long story, but we were contacted to assist 4 young ladies in rural CO w/ 8mi of range left and 20miles to the nearest town. Temps in the ‘teens; 8-10” snow. They just managed to climb the hill ~1mi to our house and recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    So... some places still in the throes of winter, some places in transition, and some places (like the low deserts) don't really experience much below 40F (and no snow)...
    How did the electric vehicles fare in the ultra cold, snowy areas?
    Some make/ models cope better than others?
    There was a rude awakening for many. Besides the subzero temperatures killing the driving range in challenging conditions they found out that when its well below zero there is no such thing as a fast charge even with a Tesla. People were lined up waiting hours trying to get recharged. Here is a link to an article the AP had. I love the comment about with planning you can travel normally. They will have to explain that one to me when driving in cold snowy conditions is sucking the charge and then there is a line at the charging stations. Oh well form your own opinions.

https://apnews.com/article/electric-...d1ba59a235cd4b

Here in Massachusetts I just drove my car (Tesla) both this winter and last without really thinking about it at all, probably recharged a little longer or perhaps once more often on a longer trip. In all winter is, so far, a non-issue for using my car normally, just like most of the other anti-EV nonsense in the press. Don't believe everything you hear on the "news"-- they will look for a couple cars waiting in line someplace and then trumpet the failings of the technology. That's just not how it is in the real world.

I wonder how other makes did, the Chevys, (especially the trucks), Kia, Nissan, Hundai models.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Or Diesel trucks? Try starting a Diesel after it sat overnight not plugged in at minus 40F .