Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Some electric cars have a road trip problem.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Here in Massachusetts I just drove my car (Tesla) both this winter and last without really thinking about it at all, probably recharged a little longer or perhaps once more often on a longer trip. In all winter is, so far, a non-issue for using my car normally, just like most of the other anti-EV nonsense in the press. Don't believe everything you hear on the "news"-- they will look for a couple cars waiting in line someplace and then trumpet the failings of the technology. That's just not how it is in the real world.
    Your Tesla will be impacted by cold temperatures and that's not my opinion it's fact is easy to document. Have you driven a lot in sub zero temperatures? I'm just curious Roger. The article I cited was just reporting on what was going on at this particular time in this part of the nation. We had -10 here for a few days and I know a few hours north of me were in the -20's Fahrenheit. I'm not opposed to EV's I just know rural America won't be saturated with them in my life time unless there is some huge break through beyond where we are now.

It's only been that cold here once since I've owned the car. I didn't notice any problem, but then I don't obsess about range and charging, I just drive the car and "fill it up" as needed. As noted, if I only had my diesel truck I would have been stuck at home in those conditions; that hasn't prevented me from owning and using a diesel truck either.

Five of every six new cars sold in Norway are now BEV's. They can't be that bad in the cold! https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...re-2024-01-02/

I have read that Norway has one of the largest percentages of electric cars. They know something about cold weather driving in Norway. Lots of hydro in Norway so electricity is cheap. Electricity is one of their biggest exports.
    Of course it is a small country with small number of cars so a few tens of thousands can shift percentages quickly.
    Bill D.
    https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-you...electric-cars/

edit: Norway has about 5.5 million cars. The USA makes about 1.8 Million cars a year and imports 6.5 million.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-23-2024 at 11:02 AM.

The width of Norway measured by the Oslo to Bergen distance is 460 km (287 miles) and can be done on 1 charge I would guess. Norway has about 3.3% of the area of the US so this handy fact about Norway EV adoption is pushing the apples and oranges analogy.

it wasn't about adoption, it was about successful use of millions of EVs in a country where the weather is, on average, colder than most all of the US.

FWIW, the average US car is driven about 37 miles a day, 99.8% of all trips are under 100 miles; trivial for even relatively poor EVs. Declaring EVs useless because they can't handle relatively rare edge cases is much like me declaring that my gas and diesel vehicles aren't useful because I can't drive them from here to Ireland. For most people, almost all the time they work just fine. Would I have on if I lived in northern Montana or in the middle of the Navajo reservation? Probably not. But very few people are in that situation. I have much more range anxiety in my F350 diesel truck (7 mpg with big camper and trailer) than my electric car. I've run out of fuel once and come very stressfully close on 3-4 other occasions over 20K miles because of inability to access a gas station with diesel that I could get my rig into. Not yet even come close to having a problem in the EV over the same number of miles.

There are 2.8 million autos in Norway. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...orway-by-type/ Of those in 2022 there were 600,000 EV's. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...orway-by-type/ They drive less than half the average miles of Americans.
    Yes the average for Americans is 37 mile per day (14,000 per year) if you were to drive everyday. My truck didn't move all week until today and then I put 90 miles on it. If I never went anywhere then an EV would serve most of my needs. However if I want to go KC to a Chiefs game I'd have to have a plan to recharge at least once and that's if it's not cold. I don't know where your travels take you with your truck and camper Roger but it isn't hard to find places in this part of the country that you can fuel a truck and trailer or a semi for that matter. However that's probably the benefits of not being in a high density population area. Googling Loves, Pilot/Flying J , Ambest, Ranger etc. will be a great start to locating truck friendly fueling locations too.

I bet their are very few chargers, roads, or towns 200 miles north of Oslo. I also bet their are no chargers at the north pole. Doubtful at the south pole
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    It's only been that cold here once since I've owned the car. I didn't notice any problem, but then I don't obsess about range and charging, I just drive the car and "fill it up" as needed. As noted, if I only had my diesel truck I would have been stuck at home in those conditions; that hasn't prevented me from owning and using a diesel truck either.

Five of every six new cars sold in Norway are now BEV's. They can't be that bad in the cold! https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...re-2024-01-02/
    Norway may not be as cold as you think.Madison, WI has colder average temps in the winter.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Norway may not be as cold as you think.Madison, WI has colder average temps in the winter.
    And not unusual to see Fairbanks, Alaska warmer and with less snow than La Porte, Indiana. Thankfully, not this winter!!

There is an undeniable truism around electric cars, anyone who does not like them and their objection is proven wrong will always find another reason not to buy one.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

There is an undeniable truism around electric cars, anyone who likes them and their praise is proven in wrong will always find another reason to buy one.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    There is an undeniable truism around electric cars, anyone who likes them and their praise is proven in wrong will always find another reason to buy one.
    I don't own one so I wouldn't know. The commentary surrounding the changeover fascinates me and watching those desperate to deny that the world is finally realising cars and transport are undergoing a change away from ICE is fascinating to watch.
    Chris

I am starting to realize my stock options in buggy whips may never pay off.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Always spread your investments to avoid disappointment when the market crashes.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    You should have shorted them.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation