Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Some electric cars have a road trip problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    For many landlords, their way of coping will be to just get out of the business. (my choice since I'm too old at this point to wait on a return of my investment)
    But then someone else will buy the property, and life goes on.

Instead of EV charging, what if this was 120 years ago and you were lamenting that buyers were now expecting indoor plumbing, which would be costly to install?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

Instead of EV charging, what if this was 120 years ago and you were lamenting that buyers were now expecting indoor plumbing, which would be costly to install?
    Yep - someone else will buy the property - or not. Who's to say? That's not my problem at that point.
    BTW - we aren't talking about buyers here - we're talking about renters.
    Two vastly different things.

I would upgrade the electric in order to make the house more saleable in an instant - if that's what it took.
    To accommodate a person that might not be around in a few days or months?
    Nope.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I can't help but think of another technology that went from non existent to a necessity in my lifetime. I can remember the time before the internet or smartphones existed. No one had personal computers or smartphones or wifi. I remember the first email address I was given at work and the only email I ever got was from the IT department welcoming me to email. In order to send or recieve an email you went to one of the limited number of computer terminals, probably stood in line waiting for your turn only to find you had no emails. Fast forward 20 years and email and internet access are an integral part of everyday life. First thing most people do when they get to work is the check their emails. The network goes down and everyone at work stands around unable to work.
    The rate of change in technology is exponential, what took 20 years, starting 20 years ago will take a few years now. We, or at least subsequent generations, will adapt and figure how to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

Rightly, or wrongly, I see the owners of large apartment buildings having a much more difficult problem providing adequate charging service to a large number of vehicles in the facility compared to residential houses where many would not even need an upgrade for an overnight charging facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Rightly, or wrongly, I see the owners of large apartment buildings having a much more difficult problem providing adequate charging service to a large number of vehicles in the facility compared to residential houses where many would not even need an upgrade for an overnight charging facility.
    Let's take an example of a 100 unit apartment building. Wouldn't that be an opportunity for a third party company to install say, a dozen fast chargers, pay a fee to the building owner and make a nice profit off the charging fees? No need for the building owner to make any investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Let's take an example of a 100 unit apartment building. Wouldn't that be an opportunity for a third party company to install say, a dozen fast chargers, pay a fee to the building owner and make a nice profit off the charging fees? No need for the building owner to make any investment.
    That's one of the scenarios that is and will continued to be in play. Some multifamily property owners will choose to put in the facilities and some will choose to partner, either with one of the larger charging organizations or a growing number of smaller operators that have seen opportunity, at least for Level 2 charging which is substantially more affordable to implement for a parking situation than Level 3 DC fast charging. The latter is better suited for high volume situations for travel, etc., because the initial cost is very high.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Yep - someone else will buy the property - or not. Who's to say? That's not my problem at that point.
    BTW - we aren't talking about buyers here - we're talking about renters.
    Two vastly different things.

I would upgrade the electric in order to make the house more saleable in an instant - if that's what it took.
    To accommodate a person that might not be around in a few days or months?
    Nope.
    Income property, such as an apartment building, is priced based on the cash flow (the rents). If you can do something to the property to increase the rents, such as adding EV chargers, you are increasing the value of the property for when you sell it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

How long did it take for cable infrastructure to become an expected normal utility in most homes? Heck, it only took a couple of years before Google had most of my metro area connected with fiber optics. Either you trust the marketplace or you don't.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Imagine you have 3 chargers in an appt complex... In my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Imagine you have 3 chargers in an appt complex... In my previous post.
    Ignore this post. It was in reference to a post that I can no longer see for some reason.

Another 'growing pain' is the sad fact that currently many existing chargers are already out of date or not maintained properly. Which is why Tesla is becoming the 'standard', and GM, Ford VW, BMW etc. have already made deals to adopt their cars to fit them. And Mr. Musk in a matter of months is on track to become the largest supplier of electricity for travelers nationwide permanently.

What a coup, before June no one knew of his plans. Tesla is already the largest by far for both sales and charging stations, and the gold standard for maintaining the 'pumps'. According to Motor Trend mag, his chargers have been above 99% reliable for the last 5 years. They just positioned themselves to become the new Standard Oil.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Income property, such as an apartment building, is priced based on the cash flow (the rents). If you can do something to the property to increase the rents, such as adding EV chargers, you are increasing the value of the property for when you sell it.

Mike
    Oh were it that simple.....
    There is no such thing as income property. It is properly called - investment real estate or investment property.
    Where people get in over their heads is thinking rental properties are income sources. They are not.
    This isn't a thread about real estate investment though - it's a side drift on the topic.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    How long did it take for cable infrastructure to become an expected normal utility in most homes? Heck, it only took a couple of years before Google had most of my metro area connected with fiber optics. Either you trust the marketplace or you don't.
    Probably the better part of 50 years for cable. The first instance of cable TV I ever ran across was at my brother's old place in Pittsburgh back in 1970-something.

Google went with KC as an experiment - because of the infrastructure (conduit).
    I see Google pulled out though. Probably concentrating on how to get 5G to work and put money in their coffers.

The range and lack of charging infrastructure make an EV impractical for me. Sure, I could spend $70K on one for local travel and charge at home, but I'm not made of money. I have to make one vehicle work for local and long distance travel. Sure, I could rationalize that the money I save on gas would pay for the car and charger and increased electric bills, except my neighbor with a Tesla tells me otherwise. Lastly, I could rationalize that the "emissions free" nature of an EV warrants my expense and inconvenience, except the power in my charging grid comes from Coal and NG power plants. The emissions happen while I charge. Out of sight out of mind?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The range and lack of charging infrastructure make an EV impractical for me. Sure, I could spend $70K on one for local travel and charge at home, but I'm not made of money. I have to make one vehicle work for local and long distance travel. Sure, I could rationalize that the money I save on gas would pay for the car and charger and increased electric bills, except my neighbor with a Tesla tells me otherwise. Lastly, I could rationalize that the "emissions free" nature of an EV warrants my expense and inconvenience, except the power in my charging grid comes from Coal and NG power plants. The emissions happen while I charge. Out of sight out of mind?
    Mostly true but.

Even in the worst case scenario where an EV is charged only from a coal-fired grid, it would generate an extra 4.1 million grams of carbon a year while a comparable gasoline car would produce over 4.6 million grams, the Reuters analysis showed.