Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Some electric cars have a road trip problem.

If gets that hot (and it may) people will stop moving here. Maybe a lot of them will move out.
    Fewer people and average temps start to drop.
    And I'll likely be dead by 2050 anyway.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I have read alarmist articles suggesting that huge numbers of houses will need their electrical service upgraded. If those houses have an electrical dryer then they have enough service to charge an EV. Just don't run the dryer after midnight. Households that have to use a solar clothes dryer (clothes line) because they have such a tiny service they can't have a dryer their laundry are not likely to be looking at purchasing an EV anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    I have read alarmist articles suggesting that huge numbers of houses will need their electrical service upgraded. If those houses have an electrical dryer then they have enough service to charge an EV. Just don't run the dryer after midnight. Households that have to use a solar clothes dryer (clothes line) because they have such a tiny service they can't have a dryer their laundry are not likely to be looking at purchasing an EV anyway.
    The expense is having the line run to the garage.
    People's dryers (including mine) are on the back wall of the house.
    And in my case there is at least 25 feet between the Dryer outlet and the where the charger would be located in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    Or a electric Stove, ,most people do not run the dryer or stove after Midnight and the EV charge could be from 11 PM to 6 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    If gets that hot (and it may) people will stop moving here. Maybe a lot of them will move out.
    Fewer people and average temps start to drop.
    And I'll likely be dead by 2050 anyway.
    Sorry you feel that way. I don't expect to be around in 2050 either but I have nieces and nephews who will and I'd like to do what I can to leave them a world that's livable.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    The expense is having the line run to the garage.
    People's dryers (including mine) are on the back wall of the house.
    And in my case there is at least 25 feet between the Dryer outlet and the where the charger would be located in the garage.
    25 foot extension cords are pretty easy to acquire, you know

Also, the cost of electricity is so much less than gasoline that a typical driver will save literally thousands of dollars per year - certainly more than enough to offset the cost of adding a 240V circuit to your garage (if you like).

And again, most people (who aren't driving long distances) could even charge on a 120V circuit. Or at public charging stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Sorry you feel that way. I don't expect to be around in 2050 either but I have nieces and nephews who will and I'd like to do what I can to leave them a world that's livable.
    Honestly, I think that ship has already sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    25 foot extension cords are pretty easy to acquire, you know

Also, the cost of electricity is so much less than gasoline that a typical driver will save literally thousands of dollars per year - certainly more than enough to offset the cost of adding a 240V circuit to your garage (if you like).

And again, most people (who aren't driving long distances) could even charge on a 120V circuit. Or at public charging stations.
    I keep my monthly expenses on a spreadsheet. When I retired 6 years ago I set my monthly gasoline expenditure to $50.
    Up until this year my total expenditures for gas was always less than $600 (50x12).
    This year it will be close, might exceed it.
    And as I've said before, my car is paid for (2006 Corolla), and it has 120K miles on it.
    Simple economics says that buying an EV is not cost effective for me.

Late to the party but I'll give my short and sweet sales pitch on EVs.

If you're looking to buy a new car, at least look at them and run the numbers. With the incentives out there, certain EVs are arguably the best product in their price point. If you don't like it or don't think it will work for your family, that's okay. Not everyone is up for being an early adopter.

What I can say is, I've saved a lot of money with my EV and feel strongly that there are a lot of people who could very easily switch to an EV without feeling many of the growing pains.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I'll bet it is a major PIA trying to run a gasoline car. You have to find a station, put up with the smell of that stinky gasoline and it is so explosive. Heck so dangerous the stations put up signs against smoking while filling your car. I mean are car driver so stupid they don't know how explosive gasoline is? They gotta be warned with signs at the pumps?. They then drive around in these incendiary machines carreening wildly off curves into trees etc. Nope. My horse is dependable, I can give him water from most any stream and if I run out of hay, he can graze along the side of the road while I go behind a bush. Dang noisy cars will never catch on. The way some carry on their might be gas stations on every street corner and intersection some day. What a waste of farm land. keep that noisy stinky death trap to your self.

Certain parallels?
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 10-21-2023 at 9:27 AM.

BTW, my neighbor traded his motor scooter for an e-bike. The e-bike goes faster, has peddles if he runs out of charge, charges in 80 minutes from 110 house current and has a range of 75 miles. He does not need registration or insurance for the e-bike.

My daughter came home last month with some little electric motorcycle. She is 30 yrs old and weighs about 160. the thing will do 30 miles per hour with her on it, range of 35 miles and it can pop wheelies with her on it. Not street legal here, but legal on the roads down where her and her boyfriend have a week end place.

Last week I was over in Lancaster County, PA, a large concentration of Amish there. Saw an Amish teen age girl pull into a fabric store on one of those kick scooters they often ride around. (looks like a little kids scooter but made out of an adult bicycle with 26 inch wheels.) On the front wheel there was some sort of smaller wheel connected to an cordless drill. along with a handle bar pouch to hold extra batteries. I asked how that worked. She said one battery charge would power the scooter from home to the store and back, about 3 miles total. She said her mother's wash machine and sewing machine take the same batteries. Even the plain folk are jumping on the bandwagon.

from a cost standpoint if an electric car has a range of only 160 miles and costs $4 to charge with a home charger, then just in cost of operation, it costs 2.5 cents per mile to drive. Even my wife's hybrid takes 4 gallons of gas to go 160 miles. Unless I can find gas for a dollar a gallon (which we all know aint gonna happen) the EV is more economical. In fact at current price here of $3.70 a gallon, that hybrid costs 9.25 cents per mile to go the same 160 miles.

Last week in the tiny sea coast little town of Chincoteague (pop abt 3,000) I saw 5 ev charging stations all at Hotel parking lots. Now in that town of 3,000, I saw close to 40 different GEM cars cruising around and another 40 or 50 golf carts (street legal there)

The hybrid still needs oil changes, tune ups, transmission maintenance, emmissions inspections etc. The EV does not.

Perry's comment is to the point. Golf carts becoming popular in my neighborhood are evidence that we don't all need 5,000 lb machines to do much of our daily business. I think this is why the Chinese are focusing on dominating the worldwide market for very small EVs for business and personnel use in urban environments.
    < insert spurious quote here >

For general urban and suburban local street transportation, at least in warmer climates, I like the idea of the "golf carty", but street legal vehicles as they are much, much more comfortable to get into and out of than really small "normal" type vehicles. A big barrier to that right now is what is actually street legal in many areas but I hope that changes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Back around 1979 there was a gas crunch. My wife and I drove from Washington DC to Erie, PA taking back highways through rural PA for most of the way. We had a brand new little 4 cylinder Datsun with manual transmission. It got about 30 to 35 mpg which was remarkable for that time. As we passed by hundreds of rural residences, one thing was very much in common across the board. for most of the trip. Nearly every residence had two vehicles in the driveway. one a somewhat large vehicle, normally 4 wh dr. and the second was almost always some little econobox. Many families in this area got away from that over the last 20 -30 years. Now every soccer mom has an SUV and dad has a F250 or up. Economics are again forcing some people to have commuter vehicles and the weekend play vehicles.

Frankly, we have 4 vehicles. the hybrid SUV gets the best mileage, on some trips getting in the high 40s mpg. The little mitsubishi Mirage gets around 35 MPG, the F-250 which is only used one or twice a month for hauling, gets about 20 and my Harley which only gets around 40 MPG. It costs less in gas to drive the SUV over even the motorcycle. The advanced fuel economy has slowed the transition to electric vehicles.

If war breaks out in the middle east, oil prices will double and electric just may turn out to be the only way people can afford to travel.

And look at the bright side. Every electric vehicle out there, makes one less consumer demanding gasoline. Less demand, lower price. Maybe not at todays number of EV's but certainly if the number doubles.