Thread: The centipede is here.

The centipede is here.

Ok - now what?
    My primary use for this is going to be as a cutting platform for sheet goods.

Is anyone else using one for that?

If so, what are you placing on it so you can cut without cutting the tops of it?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Don't have the Centipede but I've considered it. Just seems a little too pricey. Hoping to catch a sale or something.

I would put a full sheet of 2" rigid foam board down under a sheet of plywood.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

There should be removable supports that came with it that you can use normal "sacrificial" 2X stock to hold up your material to be sawn. You can also use a piece of rigid foam insulation, just as you might "on the floor" but up on top of the Centipede support. For additional assembly space, throw a piece of sheet goods on it, but be aware that if the floor is not flat under the system the work surface may also not be flat since sheet goods bend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What size did you buy?

I cut the chamfers for the UJK anti slip dogs in the bora tops. It's removed the need for any short of foam insulation. I also use it for an assembly and work space. Having floors out of flat is always an issue for assembly.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 09-12-2023 at 1:55 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I use one for my track saw. I put a sheet of ply on it and then 1.5 inch thick insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There should be removable supports that came with it that you can use normal "sacrificial" 2X stock to hold up your material to be sawn. You can also use a piece of rigid foam insulation, just as you might "on the floor" but up on top of the Centipede support. For additional assembly space, throw a piece of sheet goods on it, but be aware that if the floor is not flat under the system the work surface may also not be flat since sheet goods bend.
    I use the 2x method Jim describes, using these:

5ff12379-3aea-4ec3-8604-762552eb5486._CR0,0,1000,1000_PT0_SX220__.jpg

I keep some 60" 2x4s around for this purpose. I only cut to approximate size since the centipede will telegraph any unevenness in the floor or, in my case, driveway. Final dimensioning is done on the table saw.

As a side benefit, a centipede with a sheet of plywood on it makes a very sturdy and cheap table for yard sales, big gatherings, etc.

1" ridgid foam. I have the 4x8and for some reason I have a hard time getting a 4x8 sheet to be carried on the 8' side it seems just too narrow. 2 pieces 48x50 or 96x26 may be the way

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    What size did you buy?
    48" X 72"

That's roughly the size of the cutting table I made out of 2x4's.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Ok - now what?
    My primary use for this is going to be as a cutting platform for sheet goods.

Is anyone else using one for that?

If so, what are you placing on it so you can cut without cutting the tops of it?
    I've looked at the Centipede and was somewhat interested in picking it up to handle my sheet goods, then Festool came out the the STM 1800 which I eventually bought. It is nice because it collapses into a small size the fits up against the wall in my Garage. I have used it many times, not only for taking down sheet goods with my Track saw but as a stand for cabinets for spray painting

I was "this close" to buying the STM 1800, Tim, because it's so versatile, but then I put in the slab flattening system which also provides me a tracksawing surface and additional assembly space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...