Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tabletops Bowing Over Time

So I just left the couple's house. The 1 1/2 thick top is made of 6) 7 inch pieces of wood glued together. The last board has cupped up from the base. I'm 235 lbs and couldn't even get it pushed down on to the base.
    I told her I'll make a new top. She doesn't want breadboard ends. I told her about the c channel steel pieces. I told her I will pay for the top and asked her to pay for the c channel. She acted like she didn't want to.
    So I told her to give me a couple of months to get it in my shop, mill it down slowly and I hope this doesn't happen again.
    Eddie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Ormerod View Post
    I told her I will pay for the top and asked her to pay for the c channel. She acted like she didn't want to.
    Eddie
    I don't think it's right to even suggest that she pay for the C-channel. It's up to you to build it right or fix it free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't think it's right to even suggest that she pay for the C-channel. It's up to you to build it right or fix it free of charge.
    +1 especially if you want any repeat business. I'd be miffed if I was asked to participate in the cost of repairs.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure you picked up on the reaction to asking a client to pay for a problem with your product . That aside, I may have missed it but did not see how you account for movement. It doesn't really matter how as long as you do. Since you have had 90+% success I assume you have a method. Also the fact that the outer edges are raising doesn't really point to an absence of buttons, z-clips, figure 8's, slotted holes, or some other method of movement allowance. Is it always an outer, unsupported edge?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Did you ask if she irons her clothes on that table edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Ormerod View Post
    So I just left the couple's house. The 1 1/2 thick top is made of 6) 7 inch pieces of wood glued together. The last board has cupped up from the base. I'm 235 lbs and couldn't even get it pushed down on to the base.
    I told her I'll make a new top. She doesn't want breadboard ends. I told her about the c channel steel pieces. I told her I will pay for the top and asked her to pay for the c channel. She acted like she didn't want to.
    So I told her to give me a couple of months to get it in my shop, mill it down slowly and I hope this doesn't happen again.
    Eddie
    Maple is not the most stable wood. Pick a thick board that has sat for years, cut it, leave it for couple of days and it moves. It is worse with wider planks. I am not in the business but have seen enough that if I was doing this for a living would avoid using wide (like 7" that you say) in those situations.

I would screw on some battens….on the BOTTOM of the TOP ! Seen lots of them ,they work.