Thread: Bandsaw Blades

Bandsaw Blades

Need recommendations for 1/4" blades to be used on 20" bandsaw. I have used regular carbon steel blades in the past, but they have a short life and tend to break easy.
    Many thanks, Mike

It’s that small orbit that’s the problem. Expand your universe, the equator has NEVER broken.

The only reasons a blade breaks easily is feeding too fast, turning too hard, or over tensioning. The width has nothing to do with it if you use the blade properly. I make all my own blades from roll stock I bought on eBay years ago.

I also weld my small carbon steel blades.
    I’ve never had one break my saw has a 20 inch wheel
    Good Luck
    Aj

A 20" bandsaw can handle a 1/4" blade just fine. I use 1/4" blades on a PM1500 bandsaw and cannot remember the last time I broke one. Bandsaw blades direct is one source I have used. The Lennox Diemaster 2 line of blades come in 1/4" and hold up very well for me.

Richard and Andrew what method do you use to weld your blades? Please

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I use a silver braze system. Grind a skive joint on a disc sander, clamp in a fixture, the silver braze with mapp gas. I like this system as the flame anneals the brittle blade. I had some trouble at work with having a brittle weld and snapping the weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I use a silver braze system. Grind a skive joint on a disc sander, clamp in a fixture, the silver braze with mapp gas. I like this system as the flame anneals the brittle blade. I had some trouble at work with having a brittle weld and snapping the weld.
    Thank you, same method I am trying to learn, except i use two propane torches at the same time for a 1" blade

Thank you, same method I am trying to learn, except i use two propane torches at the same time for a 1" blade
    The fixture I have is open under the joint. I put flux and a tiny piece of silver braze wire on top of the blade and bring the heat in from the bottom. The flux melts and then the silver braze. Like regular soldering, the solder is drawn towards the heat. I've done 3/4" blades with that technique and it works well.

Heres a pic with my flux,silver solder and fixture. I haven’t bought a coil yet this is my first year welding my own blades.
    So I buy cut lengths from the guys that sharpen my table saw blades and jointer knives. So far the welds I’ve made have been very quiet when the band is running though the guilds. Super straight on the back the teeth aren’t dumping in and out of the cut. So it’s better then my saw service welds. The resaw blades I use are done buy bandsaw blades direct and are excellent.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

definitely heavy duty jig there. I like it alot.
    I bought over thirty 1" blades that are longer than I need at an auction for less than two new ones. I have cut two down and one now is too short the other one runs with some noise as it goes thru the guides and the cut is rougher than I like. Have more to practice with as I need them. Don't use a bandsaw very often, just got a great deal on the saw and the blades.
    thanks
    Ron

Please see link below Probably the best bandsaw blade post on Sawmillcreek

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....bandsaw-blades!

The last batch of bandsaw blades I bought were from Timberwolf. I haven't bought any more because those blades work so well and have lasted a long time. Does nobody use Timberwolf blade anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gottlieb View Post
    Need recommendations for 1/4" blades to be used on 20" bandsaw. I have used regular carbon steel blades in the past, but they have a short life and tend to break easy.
    Many thanks, Mike
    Mike, in 1/4” - 1/2” I only use 3 tpi bimetal blades. These can be sharpened about 5 times by yourself.

Note that Australian hardwoods probably place double the wear of the average US fare.

Regards from Perth

Derek

May take a while to pay off but 870 over 4 friends may be worthwhile. I havent needed to get into welding blades. I mostly use cheaper laguna blades but Im on a 125" blade

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...RoCd_4QAvD_BwE