Thread: curved cabinets / bars / etc

Blog Entries

curved cabinets / bars / etc

Hi,

I have a curved bar coming up on the schedule. I've been looking around at different videos, etc. Was wondering if any of you had good resources to recommend. I have a vacuum table and nice bandsaw, shaper, etc. I'm starting to get a plan together in my head, but the more methods I see the better before I commit to a plan.

One that I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgpUMA42pDE

Cheers and thanks,

That vid is doing a curved frame-and-panel door. Does that help you with your curved bar project? Maybe a rough sketch of the bar would help us help you.

Size will dictate a lot. Basement bar or commercial bar?

I recently made this banquette that was a little funky/curved. 96x48.
    IMG_0338.jpeg

I did 3 glue ups and joined on site with dominos and pocket screws.

I did a large curved bar rail for a commercial restaurant-bar. Enjoyed making it, but don’t really like the curve. For one thing ,you
    can’t slide a beer , and people like to see who’s there. Curved rail will be way expensive, and mop-ups are more dis-ruptive to the
    drinkers.

That is very elegant Chuck!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies!

That is an awesome nook Chuck. You did great. How did you make the forms? Did you use vacuum or just clamps?

This is the concept photo. The customer's space is too small for it to be such a grand curve. I have to nail down final details (this is one of those customers that sends you a photo and says "make this" and lets you do the rest). His space is a lot smaller than this photo so either bar will have one large curve to it or it will have a 90 degree turn at one end and that part will be rounded. Regardless, the customer is insistent on it being "curved" in some way.

So, yes, stiles and rails. Hence the video above.

IMG_0347.jpg

There's an alternative to those curved frame-and-panel panels. You could just make the whole front with one big curved piece of plywood. Or maybe two if the bar is long. The curved parts would be what's generally called wiggle wood. It is hardwood-veneer sheet goods which comes with many kerfs on the back side. The kerfs generally run the 4-foot direction. The kerfs make it bend pretty easily one direction, but still be pretty sturdy in the cross direction. If your plywood source doesn't supply the stuff, you can run the kerfs pretty quickly yourself with a circular saw and a straight edge. To make the bar front, you make curved rails top and bottom. The rails are just cut out of plywood. You bend the wiggle wood over the curved rails, and fasten in place. If you want, you can nail on some vertical stiles for decoration. You can built this curved front much much much faster than building the curved frame-and-panel doors shown in your video.

The dining area on my boat is curved in a free form. This was done by laminating thin plywood panels over a form. Then the door openings were cutout and edge banded.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

To get a similar effect is going to be a significant project. It must include the whole room.

There are about 20 light fixtures, your smaller version can work with maybe 12.

Those stools are not going to come from a furniture store.

There are two top surfaces, the bar top and the kitchen top with the sink in it. Were I the customer those would both be Corian with the sink molded into the lower one.

The woodwork has a lot of details. You need all those or alternate ones. Some G & G details would work.

You won't have the stonework due to space, and it will not be missed.

The eye must be drawn to the bar area, it will go to the light. So if the rest of the room has painted walls they will need to be repainted in a darker color, not brown please. I like the blue in the Reply to Thread button below. If there is a window it should be covered with heavy drapes a few shades darker than the walls.