Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 21 Gauge Nailer fans out there?

Any 21 Gauge Nailer fans out there?

I have one nailer (18 gauge), and I want something smaller for jobs where the 18 gauge head is just too big/unsightly. I don't have any particular projects in mind - just wondering if 21 gauge would be a good choice for a 2nd nailer (vs. a 23 gauge).

I don't recall very many, if anyone, mentioning 21 gauge previously...I think that format is relatively new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just got a 23 gauge pin nailer to compliment my 18 gauge tool (for the same reasons) and have been happy with the decision. The pins hold surprisingly well for being so small.

That's the one and only size nailer that I don't own.

I have had a 21 ga for a few years. I find it an ideal size for much of my projects. Kind of a Goldilocks between 18 and 23. Unless I really need the strength of the 18 I find I use the 21 the most frequent of the three sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't recall very many, if anyone, mentioning 21 gauge previously...I think that format is relatively new.
    I did a search before posting - couldn't find any mention of 21! Grex, Senco and others all make them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    I have had a 21 ga for a few years. I find it an ideal size for much of my projects. Kind of a Goldilocks between 18 and 23. Unless I really need the strength of the 18 I find I use the 21 the most frequent of the three sizes.
    Thanks for the feedback. What brand and do you like it? I want an oil-less design. I'm tired of giving my 18 a drink every time I use it.

I use my 21 ga nailer more than any of my others when installing trim and moldings and I have all the way from the 23 ga up to a 15 ga. You can get both headless and Brad head fasteners for them. I don’t see a large difference, however, in the hole size between the two. I’d like to think that the Brad head fastener would have a little more pullout resistance. My 21 ga nailer is a Cadex and I’ve had no issues with it.

Good luck with your choice.

Clint

At one point only one manufacturer was offering 21 ga. that I could see. I regarded it as an effort to lock purchasers into that manufacturer for nails so wanted no parts of it. If others are offering guns and nails, that removes my objection.

That's interesting that you can get both brad head and headless in 21 gauge, Clint. I didn't know that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Harbor Freight carried 21 ga nailers years ago.

Maybe if someone other than HF would carry fasteners in 21 ga I'd give one a try.

Hmmm - a Ryobi 21 ga battery powered nailer...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Harbor Freight carried 21 ga nailers years ago.

Maybe if someone other than HF would carry fasteners in 21 ga I'd give one a try.

Hmmm - a Ryobi 21 ga battery powered nailer...
    https://www.nailgundepot.com/nails/s...ries-pin-nails

https://woodworkerspecialties.com/pr...zed-brad-nail/

I have a Bostitch 23GA nailer that has been really useful. The pins basically disappear. It has been surprisingly versatile. The cedar cart below doesn't use any mechanical fasteners in the traditional sense. As an experiment of sorts I used waterproof glue and pinned everything in place with the 23GA brads instead of clamping. It really worked nice. I built this in 2011 and it stayed outside year round. I finally replaced it this summer as the unfinished wood had gotten pretty rough looking. The joinery was still solid as a rock.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Got one from Woodcraft years ago but don't use it much after I got a Grex 23 gauge Pinner. Those heads almost disappear, especially in darker woods.

Blog Entries
    My experience is like Mike W above. Every now and then I want an "invisible" pin that has a bit more heft and still use the 21 gauge on the odd occasion.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler