Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helping a friend with plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is not code to hide a fernco inside a wall. they must be visible so any leaks can be seen easily.
    Bill D
    https://www.fernco.com/downloads/ins...d-installation
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is not code to hide a fernco inside a wall. they must be visible so any leaks can be seen easily.
    Bill D
    I've done that endless times, never had an inspector take issue.

I recently gutted a little four bathroom building on our point. We're changing the layout to two larger bathrooms in anticipation of getting the point ready to start renting it for weddings. All the interior walls were completely removed. The building was built in 1962 just before the lake was flooded, or so I'm told.

Every ABS pipe that was stubbed up through the slab floor was buried inside an interior wall. I think there were 8 such pipes stubbed up. Every one had been connected, not even remotely meticulously for alignment, with a Fernco to the pipe coming down from above.

Not one showed any sign of leaking. The framing lumber still looked as clean as it probably did when they built the walls.

I know this was only a small sample size of eight 60 year old connections, but it certainly did away with any worry that I have about them.

The code may have changed. I think the metal sleeved ones are more allowed. I have never seen more then 2" copper drains. everthing bigger was cast iron or clay, now it is plastic.
    Bill D

I know of some houses built in 1934 that the whole DWV system is copper, including 4” main lines that connect to city sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I've done that endless times, never had an inspector take issue.
    Bill D

Cameron yes Correct its just DWV and its tested before its covered up, the requirement that I know of is it all has to be stainless steel including the clamps if its underground.

Blog Entries

Update #2

The job has been completed. When we cut the 45 degree angle piece we found that the copper walls were at least twice as thick as the horizontal pipe that was splitting. We decided not to try to remove the stub for fear of loosening a joint in the 4" line. The drain is now connected with 1-1/2" pvc into a 6 inch stub of copper using a copper to pvc Fernso fitting. We tested the piping with lots of hot water to check for leaks.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Where we’re located you have to use shielded Fernco’s when placed underground. Otherwise an unshielded connector is allowed for all DWV connections. Always best to talk to AHJ to ensure it meets code.

Clint

Correct always check with local Code enforcement, not someone online. PS If you look at the Fernco website they have lots and lots of alternative like the Y 1 1/2 to 4 inch they might have used?