Thread: Some strange advice ?

Some strange advice ?

On another site....a fellow was having issues cutting stringers.....as the cut was not a perfect 90 degrees....

A couple responders suggested using the tablesaw.......
    Porch Project, first cuts.JPG
    So...HOW would one use a tablesaw to cut these?

Photo is a few years old....when I added a deck to my front porch.....3 steps, 20" of rise. Normally I'd use the two tools you see laying there...Circular Saw and a tool box saw...

But...a Tablesaw? Really?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Steven,

Those are the same two tools I use, but normally the hand saw is a vintage Disston saw or some sort. I also think the circular saw in the picture is better than the one I have. (I do have a worm drive circular saw for heavy duty carpentry work, but don't use it any where near as much as my old Craftsman standard type of circular saw.)

It seems interesting that someone would suggest that a table saw is the tool of choice for a piece of that shape. I would love to see the person that made that particular suggestion try to cut it on a table saw. It would be very interesting to watch.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-20-2023 at 12:07 AM.

I suggest you two channel your inner “Red Green” (famous Canadian do it yourselfer TV star). Red would use a portable tablesaw and turn upside down on the laid out stringer.

Many decades ago whilst serving my apprenticeship, I had to cut out stringers for the instructor. All I had was a 10 pt. CC panel saw, to attack two stringers with four or five steps each (2x10s). I was wore out!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    How about a speed square / rafter square and a circular saw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcDX7Yb2e8
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

For framing tasks I can't imagine needing more precision than a circular saw and a speed square provide. Or a hand saw and a moderately practiced eyeball for that matter.

I built a cross cut sled for my table saw, and I can cut really accurate 90's if needed. But unless I have a ton of cuts and need precision, by the time I haul it up the stairs out of the basement and run an extension cord and get it set up, it's usually faster to use a hand saw.

Shocked a CNC isn't required.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Porch Projct, new square.JPG
    The one I used..
    Porch Project, making sawdust.JPG
    And the speed square used....
    Porch Project, handsaw.JPG
    And the handsaw.....good enough for treated lumber....not building a Piano, here...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I suppose you could set the table saw blade at 45° and then run the boards across, standing up on their sides. That would be a good way to get an accurate 90°, assuming you had the depth. It's not the way I'd want to do it, but you know, people have their own preferences. And some people prefer to use their table saws for just about everything.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that all circular blade power saws run on a 50/50 mix of electricity and blood, so I try to avoid using them whenever I can. I've had a few minor injuries from table saws myself (kickbacks) and have personally witnessed way too many people lose partial or whole fingers and in one instance, a kneecap, to circular blade power tools. I'll pull out the old hand saw unless I can save myself several hours by switching to one of those devil discs.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Shocked a CNC isn't required.
    CNC is obsolete. Try 3D printers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    CNC is obsolete. Try 3D printers.
    Additive manufactured stringers. Brilliant!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Ha 3D printer plus AI to determine the optimum internal lattice structure for stringers optimizing for strength-to-weight based on local barometer readings and the cycles of the moon…

Once I go into remodel or home improvement mode I pretty much glue a circular saw to my hand for the duration of the project and don’t try to get any fancier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Culotta View Post
    Ha 3D printer plus AI to determine the optimum internal lattice structure for stringers optimizing for strength-to-weight based on local barometer readings and the cycles of the moon…

Once I go into remodel or home improvement mode I pretty much glue a circular saw to my hand for the duration of the project and don’t try to get any fancier than that.
    Just be careful when there are solar flares, a bit flip could yield unexpected results. I don't want my stringers to panic and reboot.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut