Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench location vs. ceiling vents

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    One issue is also finishing, I think everyone can figure out why
    James and Edward, thanks very much for these points. I'd never even thought of them! The return is some 8 feet down an open hall from my workshop room. In response to James' point about air filtration: The filter on the forced air machine seems to be kind of middle of the road in terms of quality of seating, etc. In the past, I've had some problems with rusting file cabinets in the same room as my workbench, so I'm planning to saw outside, as much as is feasible. But if the neighbors are put off by the noise of hand-sawing (six year old on one side of townhouse and 1 and 3 year olds on the other - all still napping presumably) then I'm going to be pretty stuck unless there's some good option for controlling the dust from hand-sawing. Ah, there's one more option: I can do the rough milling and sawing at one of the three relatively nearby maker-spaces. I'm very fortunate to have them!

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rappaport View Post
    Well, the *air flow* is constant because we leave the fan on all the time. The duty cycle for whether the air is heated or cooled varies from 10 minutes to several weeks depending on the season (short in summer and winter and long in spring and fall, when no temperature control is needed much of the time).
    Yup, I hear you. I work pretty hard to keep my lumber storage 1) as long as possible for as long as possible but also 2) at or near household conditions. If I had thousands and thousands of board feet on hand of course I would keep a lot of it outdoors, but I strongly prefer to keep furniture lumber at or near household conditions for a year or two before I make something fussy from it.

If I have a year's worth of 4/4 lumber indoors I am good, but if I am thinking about cutting dovetails or dadoes in something that came indoors last week I got some anxiety. Having constant airflow, I think, is a good thing and should minimize your (my) problems.

For those of us whose shop is in a basement....?

I have a register for an upstairs room...that has a series of vent holes drilled at the point where it turns 90 degrees up into the floor boards overhead. It is located about right over the Tablesaw...so, non-issue for my bench.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use