Thread: GF 2k Clear Poly vs ARS

GF 2k Clear Poly vs ARS

Hello everyone,
    I have a built in desk top to finish. It is Cherry veneer. There are shelving units and other items that will sit on top of the desk. My original plan was to use ARS due to it's durability and ease of application but the 30 day full cure time is too long for this situation. For this reason I has considering using Enduro 2k clear poly since it has a full cure in 5 days.
    Edit: I should mention I can spray the clear poly via airless or HVLP as needed.
    I'm hoping those with experience with these products can chime in.
    Last edited by Jay Knobbe; 09-21-2023 at 9:09 AM.

I prefer Target EM8000CV as an alternative to Enduro Clear Poly. I just like the look a little better and it's plenty durable in my kitchen.

While advertised as "cured in 5 days", the Target product I mention doesn't achieve chemical resistance until much longer 30 days. So, you can use it, but you have to be careful.

I suspect many of these waterbased finishes have the same property.

I agree with Prashun...regardless of what the label says about cure time, I really think that most, if not all of these finishes need a lot longer for a true, full cure. I'm waiting a few weeks before leveling and buffing a guitar body right now for that very reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The OP said he was considering GF's 2K Poly, not Clear Poly. Totally different product. I do agree that any catalyzed finish takes longer than 5 days to fully cure. Personally, I think EM8000CV has an ugly yellow cast to it. Maybe it would be OK on cherry, but I'd want to do a test first and I wouldn't want to have to buy a gallon just to see. The GF product will be dead clear, so it won't change the color much of whatever's underneath. On the plus side for EM8000CV it sprays beautifully and is the most durable WB product I've yet used. I have not yet used GF's 2K Poly, but I would expect it to be at least as durable.

All said and done, it's hard to beat ARS for ease of application and durability, and it looks great on cherry. My testing showed 3 weeks cure time gives a very durable finish, which is as fast as for the WB products.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 09-21-2023 at 3:08 PM.

What’s ARS?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What’s ARS?
    Arm-R-Seal.

John

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ended up sticking with the ARS since project timeline changed allowing for additional cure time. Factor in ease of application and its ARS for the win in this case.