Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova Viking Floor Model Version

Nova Viking Floor Model Version

I'm looking at getting a Nova Viking for my garage mainly for woodworking use.
    I'm probably going to go with the floor model version because of the extra height adjustability, but the base seems kind of narrow for a floor model drill press!

Has anyone had any problems with the Viking floor model version being unstable?

Doug

I have had no problems with mine. You can always bolt it to a wider base

The full height version is called the Voyager. The base and column are quite heavy. I had no issues with stability while I had it directly on the floor. I've since put it on a mobile base which makes it a tiny bit less stable but well worth it to have the mobility in my small shop. If you want it on a mobile base, I'll suggest assembling the DP on the mobile base instead of moving the fully assembled DP onto the base as the assembled unit is quite heavy and awkward to maneuver. Think your assembly process thru before starting, especially with how you will install the head on the column.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    The full height version is called the Voyager.
    The Voyager is a whole lot beefier unit with more power & added features.

I've thought about the Voyager also, but I'm not sure if the added features are worth the extra cost?
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 091604.jpg

The Viking I'm looking at comes in a bench model & a floor model version.
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 091232.jpg

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    The Voyager is a whole lot beefier unit with more power & added features.

I've thought about the Voyager also, but I'm not sure if the added features are worth the extra cost?

The Viking I'm looking at comes in a bench model & a floor model version.

Doug
    Ah, I didn't realize they had made a floor model of the Viking. I wonder why as I remember when the Viking came out it being touted as the bench version of the Voyager. Well, everything I said is irrelevant. Sorry about that.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have had no problems with mine.
    Thanks!
    Are you using it with just the standard table, or do you have an auxiliary top on it?

I'm probably going to make a wider table-top for it with T-tracks & hold-downs.
    With a wider top I imagine it could be a little unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    You can always bolt it to a wider base
    Yeah, that would probably be a good idea.

I currently have an older 17" Deta that I'll probably end-up parting out once I get the new Viking.
    The base is really heavy & has a wide footprint.

IMG_0302.JPG

Brian, the Viking is a different drill press from the Voyager - smaller motor, less features. T originally came out in bench top version only, but no doubt the lower price made it popular, and Nova probably extended the choices as a result.

I have the Voyager, and I imagine (do not know) that the bases would be the same. Mine rests on wheels, and the stability factor has been fine …

The Voyager has been a wonderful addition to the workshop. The Viking at the time of purchased was only in bench top version. I would be happy with either.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have the Voyager, and I imagine (do not know) that the bases would be the same.
    No there not the same, I got these dimensions from their website.

Voyager Base Size (L x W): 22 1/4” x 17 1/2″ (565mm x 445mm)

Viking Base Size (L x W): 18.45” x 10.63” (468.7mm x 270mm)

Doug

Easy solution - buy the Voyager. Enthusiasm will abound for the rest of your long life, and you'll have no worries about the base's stability.

Slap on the Llambrich keyless chuck I got for mine, and you'll be inventing tasks for the drill press.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    Thanks!
    Are you using it with just the standard table, or do you have an auxiliary top on it?

I'm probably going to make a wider table-top for it with T-tracks & hold-downs.
    With a wider top I imagine it could be a little unstable.

Yeah, that would probably be a good idea.

I currently have an older 17" Deta that I'll probably end-up parting out once I get the new Viking.
    The base is really heavy & has a wide footprint.

IMG_0302.JPG
    I had a Voyager on order or should I say backorder for a long time. I saw Nova had a deal on a Viking drill head (no post or base) and I was able to adapt (needed to add a sleeve to the post) this to my old Ridgid floor model drill press. Right after I put this together my Voyager came in stock so I sold the Viking. I know the Voyager is a beast compared to the Viking but I liked the simpler user interface on the Viking.
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 082258.jpg

My DP is another brand with a 10" wide base. It seemed easy to tip so I added a 12" wide plywood base. Much better. And as a bonus it runs quieter.

Agreed w/ Kent, the Llambrich keyless chuck was a bit spendy, but well worth it. One of those smile every time you use it things. cheers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Easy solution - buy the Voyager.
    I thought about that, but the Voyager's are currently all on backorder. Most of the added features on the Voyager I would not use anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Slap on the Llambrich keyless chuck I got for mine, and you'll be inventing tasks for the drill press.
    Which is the correct model number for the Voyager?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a 2017-build Voyager DVR. I got the Llambrich JK-130-MT2. I don't know if all Voyagers have the same spindle design.
    Attached Images Attached Images