Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Shocked While Using Milwaukee Battery Powered Belt Sander

Getting Shocked While Using Milwaukee Battery Powered Belt Sander

So when I hook up the Festool CT-36 hose to the belt sander, I get zapped every time the hose brushes up against my body. Not painful, but irritating.

How can I ground the system to prevent this?

Technically, you cannot ground an insulator like a plastic hose but try wrapping the hose with bare wire or similar and ground it. You don't have to totally cover the hose but you could also try wrapping in grounded aluminum foil if that is easier.

Blog Entries
    I take it that this is a brand new hose. If so, take the hose and rub it with fine sawdust. It sounds crazy, but once the hose is dusty, it will hold far less static charge.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wear all cotton.

Are you using an anti-static hose with the CT?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I take it that this is a brand new hose. If so, take the hose and rub it with fine sawdust. It sounds crazy, but once the hose is dusty, it will hold far less static charge.
    Original hose that came with the CT when I bought it at least 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Are you using an anti-static hose with the CT?
    Using the original hose that came with the CT when I bought it at least 8 years ago.

In the winter time, at least around here, this happens with sanding tools because it is so dry. I have the anti-static hose and it doesn't matter. On longer sanding runs, all I do is wear a wrist strap used for working on electronics which grounds me...works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    In the winter time, at least around here, this happens with sanding tools because it is so dry. I have the anti-static hose and it doesn't matter. On longer sanding runs, all I do is wear a wrist strap used for working on electronics which grounds me...works like a charm.
    Great idea, heading off to Amazon to order an electrostatic wrist strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    What do you clip the wrist strap to? I have very few things in my woodworking shop that goes to an earth ground.

I have a plug that my DC hooks to with 3 outlets. I just plug the ground strap into the ground port with a banana connector. It really doesn't matter too much, any decent ground will work. The point is to discharge anything that accumulates and with your hands constantly on the sander/hose you'll be a good enough ground

I was having the same problem with my planer hose from the DC to the planer. I wrapped some stranded electrical wire around the hose and put an old wrench on the other end that just lays on the floor. No more shocks now.

I have that problem when sanding and hear via a cochlear implant (CI) which can be damaged by static so I wear a anti-stack wrist band and attached wire. When sanding on my lathe, I connect the wrist strap to the lathe. When sanding on my outfeed table, I connect the wrist strap to the metal DC ductwork.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    So when I hook up the Festool CT-36 hose to the belt sander, I get zapped every time the hose brushes up against my body. Not painful, but irritating.

How can I ground the system to prevent this?
    Hi, is the vacuum connected to a grounded receptacle?

Are you using an anti-static hose?

Regards, Rod

You can buy, expensive, conductive rubber tires for the vac. Used at the lab for liquid hydrogen carts. You do not want any sparks there.
    Bill D