Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter soon

Winter soon

Good time to tune up the weatherstripping and the snowblower. Try out the furnace too.

Yeah, and to finally get to all those jobs you've been putting off until cooler weather.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I am "winter adverse" and hope we have another one like the last two or three... but El Nino is in charge this year, so there may be more precipitation than in the last two years. We did order a coat for Oliver the dog, however...which is pretty much the extent of any preparation needed to be done here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I heard somewhere the northeast should see more snow than last year. But last year we got about 2 inches total so Im not sure if that means we may get 3 this year or I should stock more food.

Just got back from having an oil change on my Pilot. Recommended service? New tires before winter. I checked. They are right. Yes, furnace checks are due.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Snowblower. - Check.
    Tractor and Plow.- Check.
    Generator. - Check.
    Woodstove. Need new Flue pipe.
    Seven cords of wood stacked outside the back door.
    Tires on cars are good to go.

I'm good to go, now we just need some actual winter in Connecticut. We've been lucky for the past few years, and the Temps and snow have been very mild.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I heard somewhere the northeast should see more snow than last year. But last year we got about 2 inches total so Im not sure if that means we may get 3 this year or I should stock more food.
    The article I read a short time ago indicated we would likely have a wetter "winter", but the temps would be more moderate resulting in a lot more rain than snow. Like you, we only got a few inches for the entire winter last year (and the previous) so it remains to be seen what the reality will be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A couple of more months before we have to worry about it here. I have never seen a snowblower in person.

Yeah. In the next week or so, the ruby-throated hummingbird migration will have passed through, and we'll have to wash and store the feeder. Tough job.

25 years in Michigan. On the way to I-69 South, gave away snow blowers, shovels, and 4 wheels with winter tires from the E39.

"Well I did my time in that rodeo,
    Been so long and I got nothing to show"
    - Lowell George & Richie Hayward, Little Feat
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Fall work to tune up plants in the landscape. Pick up leaves, get gutters cleaned, I am not allowed on the roof anymore, move snow blower from shed to garage, drain gas from mower blower trimmer for winter storage and put on 10 lbs of winter weight! Brian
    Brian

Pies, soups, and stews are at the top of my fall list, along with BBQ and State Fair. Don't forget meat loaf, and mashed potatoes. All comfort foods. In early December, will drain seasonal spigots. Reseed the lawn, and rake the leaves. Then wait for spring, which can't come too soon.

Meanwhile down here on the 6th day of spring its 84° and thick with smoke. El Nino on this side of the Pacific means shimmering hot days and no rain. Just serviced the chainsaw for storage and about to go tune up the irrigation system.

Aaannd here in Phoenix life begins anew for the next 7 months, 8 if we are lucky and May temps stay down.
    Love it here in the winter... low humidity and "dead of winter" temps are 60-70s days, high 30s-low 40s at night.
    I swim laps outside all winter (ASU and some nearby municipal pools are heated)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 09-27-2023 at 9:39 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Plenty of free wood to turn ,and new igniter in pellet stove in shop. I may even install a thermostat so the shop will stay warm.

I can’t wait for winter. Hopefully the temperature will go below 90F finally here in central Texas…