Thread: Alder Dresser

Alder Dresser

I would like to share a Dresser I made for myself. This has replaced a basset dresser I’ve had for many years.
    I started it in June and finished last month. The secondary woods are white pine dust frames white pine drawer bottoms and the back panel.
    All the drawers are Dovetailed with popular sides.
    My favorite details are carved stars on the knobs and small drawer lock.
    I left the inside wood natural so it has a very clean wood smell that I like.
    The finish is Rubio Monocoat.
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

looks very nice
    Ron

Andrew, what a beautiful dresser! I love the clean lines and the figure in the wood. Absolutely beautiful! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice trim on hte transition areas. Also the figure in the middle of each drawer sets it off. Nice job!

Nice work, Andrew. I especially like the cockbeading and matching grain patterns on the drawers. I'm in the beginning stages of making a bed for my granddaughter using Western Red Alder and this convinces me that I've made a good wood choice
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-27-2023 at 10:31 AM.

I concur, beautiful work, Andrew. The corner detail adds interest and I'm sure some challenges in how to construct it and the elements that follow it above and below. The cock beaded drawers are terrific, too.

John

Blog Entries
    Great workmanship and materials. We used to call alder poor-man’s-birch when the price difference was wider. Very well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice......
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Understatedly gorgeous job Andrew! Love the carved pulls and cock beading on the drawers. Angled corner posts also add a very cool element of style without being overwhelming. Very well done. I wish you would post more often – love your work.

What can you tell me about the Rubio mono coat finish? I seen it mentioned in things I read more recently but have no personal experience. Is it sprayed? Why do you like it? Looks great!

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Understatedly gorgeous job Andrew! Love the carved pulls and cock beading on the drawers. Angled corner posts also add a very cool element of style without being overwhelming. Very well done. I wish you would post more often – love your work.

What can you tell me about the Rubio mono coat finish? I seen it mentioned in things I read more recently but have no personal experience. Is it sprayed? Why do you like it? Looks great!

Thanks, Mike
    Thanks to everyone that commented I appreciate it.
    Mike Rubio is a great finish it’s one con is it’s expensive. I buy small cans of pure oil with a hardener. 3 to 1 ratio mixing small batches it goes a long ways.
    One thing to keep in mind it is a oil so it brings out yellow in woods like maple. Not my favorite color. Even Alder has yellow in it so I used red and brown to even everything out.
    Walnut really looks great with Rubio but don’t expect shiny it’s a very natural matte finish.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I think that the pulls are a real highlight to what is already a very nice piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...