Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 small Hand tool project ideas -lots of pics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Beautiful stuff ! But the Greene and Greene always reminds me of camp crafts…. Were you ever a Boy Scout General ?
    Good to see you back ! I’d like to see a couple of wooden guys eating lunch on the top of that build they are working on !
    Didn’t think of it until you mentioned it, but shoe rack does kind of look like on of those 1930’s era high rises under construction in those old black and white photos of workers dangling off girders eating their lunch!!!

These are great. They instantly have the look/feel of 'antique/artistry' craftsmanship.

I'll echo the others-you got skills!

And the finishes look great too, especially on the shoe rack.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Nice work Mike! Hope you are well. Could you remind me what tools/method you use to cut the grooves for the string inlay in that circular pattern? Do you use the Jim Bode radius cutter? Need to do some semi-circles in the middle of a wood field, and the radius cutter is the only option I’m coming up with. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Very, very nice work. They certainly speak for themselves.

Just one question. Are the three knives in the right side of the holder supposed to be higher than the rest or are the different in some way?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Nice work Mike! Hope you are well. Could you remind me what tools/method you use to cut the grooves for the string inlay in that circular pattern? Do you use the Jim Bode radius cutter? Need to do some semi-circles in the middle of a wood field, and the radius cutter is the only option I’m coming up with. Thank you!
    Hi Phil, great to hear from you! I use the LV string inlay kit. It has an adjustable rod with pivot point on one end and cutter head other which holds different width utters. It’s pretty slow cutting and I usually need exacto knife and the free hand cutters they sell to fully excavate the grooves. I’ve experimented with dremel router on compass pivot but haven’t had great results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very, very nice work. They certainly speak for themselves.

Just one question. Are the three knives in the right side of the holder supposed to be higher than the rest or are the different in some way?
    No Lee- this was quick picture and I didn’t take time to fully insert the knives in their holders. Getting correct spacing for dividers in holders took waay longer than planned to get symmetrical spacing and decent fit.

Thanks Mike! I do have their free hand cutters and a few small jewelers engravers. I may need to get the tool to try. I find with most hand inlay cutting tools, it’s challenging to get consistent depth. I’ve had luck with the dremel and Stew Mac base, but takes some time to modify for whatever guide is needed.

Keep building, my friend. Enjoy seeing your work.