Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet doors - wood panels or pegboard?

Cabinet doors - wood panels or pegboard?

I'm getting ready to make the cabinets for above the work area/work bench.
    My wife asked me if I was going to use pegboard on the doors.

I hadn't considered it until then. I was just planning on making some flat panel doors - since I enjoy making doors.

They really don't need doors - being in a shop and all - but - did I mention I enjoy making doors? .

The more I think about it, the more I think making pegboard faced doors is a good idea.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Peg board or the new metal equivalents which are very good can be a nice choice...IF you like to hang things on pegboards. That's the bottom line. Historically, I've not been a pegboard fan. I did decide to use a product in my new shop on the tool wall that allows for both "pegs" and other organizers that utilize the slots similar to a shelf system. I have exactly one "peg" on that wall and everything else is mounted to the slots. Now if you don't intend to actually hang anything, traditional doors would look better and keep dust out of the cabinet better.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What about a whiteboard panel in each one, so you can make and display lists or sketches or whatever?
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    What about a whiteboard panel in each one, so you can make and display lists or sketches or whatever?
    That 's a really good idea, Walter.
    --

I LIKE that idea!!!!

Whiteboard it is in at least 1!

Thank you for the suggestion!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I prefer making sketches and lists on yellow pads, that eventually get stored in a drawer taking up space and never to be looked at again.

Hmmm..... Whiteboard....
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I like the suggestion of a whiteboard, assuming it is in a location that would be convenient to write on. But, it sounds like that isn't the case here. I use a large portable 4' x 6' white board in my shop, and if I had the wall space, I'd love to hang it on the wall.

Regarding peg board- I have some pegboard in my shop, but in places that aren't getting a ton of activity. I find that they easily fall out and are kind of annoying in general. When you combine that with movement with a door, I would think you'd be dealing with falling tools when you open the doors. How about just flat panels, but plan on screwing on purpose-built mounts for your tools that are more secure? Or maybe something that hangs on french cleats? Like I said, I have peg boards in my shop, but I have plans to one day change them out for something more permanent.
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 10-01-2023 at 12:19 PM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

The metal pegboard. Does it hold magnets? We had a white porcelain fridge door panel in the shop. magnetic whiteboard. Not a piece of junk. Neighbor got a new fridge and it came with this slide out panel or a slide in piece of plywood finished to look like oak. She wanted the oak look and offered us the metal sheet.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The metal pegboard.
    The product I use (OmniWall) absolutely works with magnetic "things".
    --

When I moved shops I converted from pegboard, which I found endlessly frustrating because the pegs were always falling out, no matter the retention system, to slatboard. Getting along much better with that.

Not sure I'd want tools clattering around on my cabinet doors in any event. Wish I had a place for a whiteboard, but I opted for lots of windows, wall space is at a premium. Natural light and being able to watch the show in my meadow and bird feeders is absolutely worth it.

If you do pegboard on the door I would suggest having a 3/4" standoff on the inside of a solid door. That way you can hang on the doors but also close them and be dust free. Though you could also just add screws or solid tool holders to the inside of the door just use a solid material for the panel.

if you have a lot of stuff the doors stop you from seeing what is there. I skip doors cause they slow me down. On the positive they will keep dust and shavings out. I still want to see what im looking for.

Lots of pros and cons for everything mentioned so far!
    I'll have to consider each and every suggestion and incorporate what I feel is the best all around -probably a combination of ideas.
    Here's to hoping the weather holds until I get to this point.

Rich, if it’s not too late, you can take the whole whiteboard aspect to another level — a glass marker board. They are all the rage in commercial office build-outs. They are basically back-painted glass. The beauty of them is that you can use any kind of marker — sharpies, etc., and you’re not limited to having to use whiteboard makers, although you can use them. And they will always clean off completely, no ghost images if you leave the writing on the ‘board’ indefinitely. Get a piece of glass (1/8” or 3/16” or thicker) cut to fit your door panel, lightly scuff what will be the back side of it with some 320 or 400-grit sandpaper, clean that with dna, then spray paint that surface with a couple coats of white or off white paint. Mount it in your door, with the painted surface on the inside of the door. Voile, glass marker board!
    Best of luck with whatever approach you take.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Blog Entries
    I had a cabinet 24" H x 48" W x 10" deep, that I made that had a pegboard back and pegboard in the doors that I used for many years. The doors were made from 1x6 to make a deep door and cabinet. The doors were mounted with piano hinges. I hung tools on both sides of the door on peg board hooks. I used the hooks with the metal pin that kept them from rotating.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 080357.png

I don't recall ever having a tool fall off the hooks or having a hook fall off.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-11-2023 at 8:10 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute