Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotel/Motel Reservations

Blog Entries

Hotel/Motel Reservations

With an early appointment a two hour drive from home, Candy said we should get a room for the night since she doesn't do mornings.

Looked at Google maps for anything close by and one was a well known national chain (starts with an M). Called the number. A person answered and listened to my request. She said she was a desk clerk and to please hold while she transferred me to reservations. This sent me through voice prompt after voice prompt. The system wanted to send me a text, I don't have a cell phone. How do you get through to a robovoice? It kept asking me for my membership number, I'm not a member. After fighting with the automated system for 4 or 5 minutes, I had enough and hung up. Called another national chain in the area and got a room booked in about the same time talking to a woman with what sounded like an Eastern European accent.

I don't think I have ever met someone who likes being jerked around a phone answering menu system that gets stuck in an endless loop of trying to sell you a membership or listen to their pitch over and over. Maybe it would have been faster if I signed up for a membership I didn't want.

Haven't any of these corporate bean counters discovered many folks would rather talk to another human instead of trying to figure out how to talk to a machine?

End of Rant.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think you'll find that the majority of hotels are setup much better for making online reservations and they have been for a very long time now. (It's the same with airlines) You'll generally get better rates that way, too, either directly if you do have a loyalty program membership or by using an AAA, AARP or other affiliation discount.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I often feel bad for the actual humans you eventually get to. By the time the menu system has put me through the ringer and I finally get to a person I am so irritated I have to really work at it to not take it out on them. I did find a cool trick for some voice prompt systems; say "returning a call" and you may get punted to a human next instead of another layer of menu items.

In my previous life we never built more than 3 items per prompt. If the department we were building out for needed more than that we strongly urged them to punt to a human.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think she transferred you to the loyalty program line and this is setup to collect membership info prior to connecting you. Std 800 should dump you in the que to speak to a human. Brian
    Brian

yeah, they're much easier to deal with online or through their app. I travel quite a bit with the M chain (lifetime Titanium) and when I need to speak with a live human, I don't bother with the 800 number. I look up the local phone number of the specific hotel and it almost always connects me with someone at the front desk right away-- so that may be a way to bypass the automated stuff.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I have and still travel quite a bit. I belong to several of the chains rewards clubs. I am with Ernie, look up the direct line to the specific hotel you want to stay and call them directly. In all the years I have traveled, I got burned when on the road, my wife called an 800 number to make reservations at a known, respected chain hotel in Gillette, WY. The reservationist made reservations for the same chain but in Sheridan, WY. My mom and brother lived in Gillette at the time. I never did get the money back, even when I contested it with the credit card company. We no longer use 800 if we can avoid it. We call the hotel directly or I make reservations online.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I think you'll find that the majority of hotels are setup much better for making online reservations and they have been for a very long time now.
    This is the first time in about 15 years I've looked for a room in a hotel/motel. I used to just go up to the desk and register.

A couple years ago I couldn't get a room while on the road. So I had some packing blankets, a sleeping bag and pillows in my truck. So I pulled into a highway rest stop and slept in the bed of my truck. That doesn't work very well when traveling with the wife.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have often found better rates speaking with the front desk of the hotel rather than then 800 number. That being said, I usually book online. Your chance of an free upgraded room is also higher booking on the hotel's website vs a 3rd party site like booking.com or expedia. Since they are discounting those rates and paying those sites money, they really don't want to upgrade you vs. someone who books directly with them and they save the fees.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Yeah, the chains send you to a central reservations system that could be anywhere. So they dont have to have a reservation clerk standing by at each hotel all the time. Service costs money.

I've done mostly online, because I dont like to read my card number over the phone. Some people prefer talking to a human, but I think they are more likely to make mistakes.

Agreeing on avoiding the third-party sites. I've been told by front desk people that people who booked through them get treated differently in case of a glitch.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Funny story. Traveling from NY back to Wisconsin one time and we made reservations through the 800 reservation system in Mackinaw City, MI. When we arrived it was starting to get dark, we pulled into the parking lot and thought it odd there weren't any other cars but the lights were on. Tried to go inside and the doors were locked, that's when we noticed the line of about 15 toilets outside on the ground. The reservation center booked us a room at a hotel that was in the middle of a renovation. Lucky there was another hotel in town from the same chain that had an opening and rented us a room for the same price as the closed hotel.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I agree, but if you do this rarely, the online booking thing is a minefield in and of itself. What you definitely don't want to do is go into a search engine and just look for hotels in the area you want, because all the top links will be cut-rate booking sites trying to make it look like you're dealing with an actual hotel. My wife has been burned by bookings through these multiple times. Search for a specific hotel, and you get the same thing - hard for the infrequent guest to tell whether they are booking with their hotel, or someone else. You want to make sure you're either using a reputable travel site (like expedia), or have actually found the booking site for the hotel chain you're trying to book with.

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with Jim. I just don’t see the wisdom of voice response systems. When a human finally answers, they are already dealing with an angry customer.

off topic a bit but bad hold music doesn’t help. I get that the fidelity is bad because phone connections are optimized for voice but still…. I have experienced good quality hold music exactly twice. In both cases, it was 1920s jazz. It occurs to me that the composers and performers were fighting the same battle. The constraints imposed by early wax recording technology is not that different from current phone compression and digitization.

Whatever you do, don't book through one of those third party sites. If you do, and have a problem, the hotel tells you to contact the booking site to fix it.

Also true for airline reservations. Always book directly with the airline. That way, the airline will help you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The trouble with booking on line is when the time is just a few minutes after midnight. I landed at SFO one night at 2355. I found out my connecting flight home was cancelled. I was going to be on the ground for about 9 hours. Trying to book a room for 'tonight' at 0005 handed me a lot of check in times for 1500 'today', not right now tonight. I ended up sleeping the airport that night, I don't know anyone in San Francisco.

Otherwise yes, I prefer to book online.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is the first time in about 15 years I've looked for a room in a hotel/motel. I used to just go up to the desk and register.

A couple years ago I couldn't get a room while on the road. So I had some packing blankets, a sleeping bag and pillows in my truck. So I pulled into a highway rest stop and slept in the bed of my truck. That doesn't work very well when traveling with the wife.

jtk
    Be aware overnight camping is no longer permitted at many rest stops. Police will bonk on your window and tell you to move on. Unfortunately, our country has way, way too many people living in RVs and those people are ALWAYS looking for a free place to park their RV. If rest stops allowed overnight camping, many would become default free RV parks. This is a huge problem here in Colorado where everyone wants to be in the summer. Local neighborhoods were lined with parked RVs all summer. The city banned such parking, but they are having a hard time enforcing it.