Thread: Use for lathe shavings.

Use for lathe shavings.

Here is one way to use your shavings. Made this for a green team member. Shaving from making vase used to form "flower"
    FlowerShavings.jpg

Interesting and looks great. How is it held together/how did you do this?
    thanks, tom

Well Tom, I grab a bunch of the shavings and held it together with one hand and started adding a lot of different glues until is seemed to hold. Little titebond lll, some 3m spray, and lacquer on outer shavings. Rolled into ball and kept adding glues until got semi firm. It is fragile. Put lot of titebond III in middle and pushed in stick. It was to be a gag, but several of the ladies loved it. Try it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    Well Tom, I grab a bunch of the shavings and held it together with one hand and started adding a lot of different glues until is seemed to hold. Little titebond lll, some 3m spray, and lacquer on outer shavings. Rolled into ball and kept adding glues until got semi firm. It is fragile. Put lot of titebond III in middle and pushed in stick. It was to be a gag, but several of the ladies loved it. Try it.....
    Haha -that’s great. Thanks.

I see several of those bunched together to make hydrangea bouquets. Might could use a ball split in half as a form. Then use some kind of spray on coating. Not sure what would work best though. Contact adhesive? Heavy lacquer? Hair spray, then lacquer? Dunno.

At the last Studio Tour weekend on our little island I had cleaned up my shop in advance, but left two large garbage cans of shavings near the entrance, but out of the way of traffic. Early on the first day, someone asked if they could have some - I gave them a garbage bag and didn’t think too much about it. By the end of the second day both cans were close to empty when a guy came up to ask for more. I gave him what was left and told him to come back in a week for more. Sold a lot of stuff that weekend, but better yet, got rid of all the shavings…

The flower looks very nice. I save my shavings to start fires in the wood stoves in the house and shop, instead of using paper.

Tom, if you find anything that works let us know.