Thread: Went to a ball game last night

Went to a ball game last night

Giants/Dodgers. Probably 15 yrs anyway since last game at Fenway. My wife, daughter, SIL and the two grands. 30 min drive S to Larkspur the head of SF Bay onto the ferry, 40 minutes dropped at the stadium. These were last minute tics so way up at extreme first base line. Surprisingly, a really good view of the game. Looking across the bay the kayaks outside Rt field were waiting for home run balls. They kinda made a flotilla and had a little charcoal grill cooking dinner in a kayak. It appeared to be plank salmon on the menu. One long foul ball hit the walkway and bounced into the bay and it was game on for them. 2-1 game. That moved right along. I like the pitch clock and it was nice seeing a SS playing short rather than Second so the shift is off. While LA is doing well this year and Giants in 2nd last place in their division I am always pleased when LA looses. It is best not to hold grudges, but I was nine when one morning all excited about baseball season coming I asked my Dad how the Brooklyn Dodgers were going to do that season. He attempted to explain that there were no Brooklyn Dodgers any longer as they had moved to LA. Emphatically, “…but Dad, they can’t do that. They are the BROOKLYN DODGERS.” Well, we know how that worked out. I could never share that so I moved across town to the Bronx and have been a Yankee fan ever since, regardless of where I lived around this big country. That in some cases has been dangerous. Living just outside Boston as a rep calling on P&H/HVAC supply houses across New England wearing a Yankee hat. They would go nuts. I’d taunt them, “Hey where would you be without me, someone to hate…” Taht all began to change in ‘03 after the Yankees spectacular flame-out in the Division series. Anyway, again, I digress. The game ended about 9PM or so. The ferry leaves 30 min after the last out. 45 min across the bay which was a really nice sight, home before 11. An excellent time, a really good game, wonderful company and I’ll go to more games next year. I like baseball.

Jack, I was skeptical about the rule changes, but have been impressed with the way the game moves along now. I've read that attendance and viewing is up across the board. We're headed to our final home game today, against the Yankees. And I'm sure you know, that most of the country hates both the Yankees and the Red Sox too. Dodgers as well, for that matter.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    When I think about the pitch clock, I’m reminded of a game back in the 80’s between the Phillies and royals. Sadly, I’m missing some details. Maybe someone can help.

on the mound for the Phillies was Tug McGraw. He was suspected of throwing spitballs but was never caught. He was also famous for playing mind games with the batters: pick up the resin bag, drop the resin bag and on and on.

at the plate for the royals was ???? Who was known for playing mind games with the pitcher.

the play callers groaned and went to commercial. 30 seconds later, they went to commercial.

Those were the days. I always liked Tug McGraw (father of Tim McGraw). Before one game, he went up to George Brett, shook his hand and said, “Well, I hope you win if we don’t.” That’s pretty much the essence of good sportsmanship.

Roger, I don't remember who the hitter was (maybe Willie Wilson), but you're talking about the 1980 World Series? If it was in KC I might have been there as it was the first World Series for the Royals.

That's one advantage of the speeded up game for TV viewers - fewer commercials.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-01-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Roger, I don't remember who the hitter was (maybe Willie Wilson), but you're talking about the 1980 World Series? If it was in KC I might have been there as it was the first World Series for the Royals.

That's one advantage of the speeded up game for TV viewers - fewer commercials.
    I don’t think this is the case. MLB talked about shortening the commercial time between innings a few years ago, but nothing came of it.
    Instead, they went with the pitch clock.

The pitch clock shortens the time between pitches. They didn’t have commercials between pitches. There are still the same number of inning breaks, pitching changes, and such, so no loss in the number of commercials; they’re just closer together.

In fact, if you consider the post game comments as part of your game watching on tv, there are more commercials. If the network scheduled three hours for the game and post game, and the game ends in 2:20 instead of 2:50; they have an extra 30 minutes where they can add a few more commercials.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Charlie, I'm thinking the average game is 30 minutes shorter, so there is that much less time for commercials. And no I dont count the pre or post game time as I dont watch that stuff..
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-01-2023 at 6:29 PM.

The MVP for 2023 is ...

The Pitch Clock.
    Regards,

Tom

I'm okay with the new rules, and they have sped up the game. Charlie, there are actually fewer pitching changes now because of the rule that a pitcher who enters the game must face a minimum of three batters now, as opposed to when they could bring a pitcher in at any time. Also, there is a limit of 5 mound visits for each team during the game (injury-related visits don't count). I believe the time between innings is 2 minutes and 20 seconds now.

The one rule I don't like is having the runner start on second base in extra innings. I don't see why that is needed given how much the other changes have shortened the average length of a game.

Derek

Im not a sports fan but going to games is fun. But from the point of view of a fan. You could buy a new 80" tv for the cost of 4 tickets to a game. I could see bringing your kids to their first game or some other similar occasion but Ouch. Same goes for concerts. Thats the rule that should change. No more robo-scalpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I'm okay with the new rules, and they have sped up the game. Charlie, there are actually fewer pitching changes now because of the rule that a pitcher who enters the game must face a minimum of three batters now, as opposed to when they could bring a pitcher in at any time. Also, there is a limit of 5 mound visits for each team during the game (injury-related visits don't count). I believe the time between innings is 2 minutes and 20 seconds now.

The one rule I don't like is having the runner start on second base in extra innings. I don't see why that is needed given how much the other changes have shortened the average length of a game.

Derek
    Yes, but those aren’t new rules this year, those were changed a few years ago.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Im not a sports fan but going to games is fun. But from the point of view of a fan. You could buy a new 80" tv for the cost of 4 tickets to a game. I could see bringing your kids to their first game or some other similar occasion but Ouch. Same goes for concerts. Thats the rule that should change. No more robo-scalpers.
    Yeah, by the time you figure in parking, one hot dog and a soft drink MLB is a little salty. We have an A-level minor league team about 30 minutes away, and that is a BLAST--at about 1/4 the cost of the big league team 90 minutes away. South Bend Cubs still have fan activities between innings, players appreciate the chance to come to the wall to sign autographs pre-game, and minimal traffic in & out. Fun environment that feels like baseball should feel--at least to me!!

This is a good idea. We have a few of these teams in NJ. And they do have a lot of fan stuff advertised. Maybe next summer for me.