Thread: Lie-Nielsen production updates

Lie-Nielsen production updates

I posted this on Facebook, but thought I would post it here…

Update on some LN matters ….my wife and I are visiting in Maine and actually staying in Warren. Stopped in LN this morning to pick up a few blades, etc. I was under the impression that LN was doing an in house foundry, but that is not the case. They are actually working with Enterprise Casting Corporation, Lewiston ME, that does their ductile iron castings to do the manganese bronze castings. This is a major project that is requiring a lot of additional equipment and tooling and it will be a year or more before there will be bronze planes produced…but, they will return!!

Tom Lie-Nielsen came through the showroom and stopped to speak. Both he and I have aged since I last spoke with him in 1986!! One of the parts I was asking about was a chip breaker for the No. 2. He indicated the iron No. 1 and 2 would be available this fall and so would the chip breakers.

I hope this answers some questions about the bronze situation and the iron models.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks for the update John!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for the update John. I’m on the wait list for the 1& 2.

I’ve spoken with a few people there and was also told the delays were due to issues establishing their own foundry, which seemed like a massive undertaking for a relatively small company. Probably just the standard explanation to callers so as not to have to regurgitate the details on a regular basis. Good to know they’re working with an existing one.

I’ve been to 40 states and always wanted to visit LN but never made it to Maine. In the past I’ve settled for attending their traveling road shows but Covid put the kibosh on those. Wonder if they’ll ever resurrect them?

Once I gained a little hand plane experience, I always wished I had bought my 4-1/2 in bronze instead of iron when both were available, for no other reason than that I think the bronze planes look good.

I’m glad to hear of any signs of vitality at Lie-Nielsen. Thanks for the report, John. And I suppose we’ve all aged.

Rumer is that one manufacturer is working on skipping the foundry and 3-D printing instead. It's a good idea if it's fast enough to be profitable. It would also open up the possibility of custom work.

Plastic planes!?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Plastic planes!?
    Not plastic. There are 3-D printers for all types of metals. The military is even using them for high strength helicopter parts. Ukraine just got some for making tank parts. The parts still require heat treating and tempering.

Wow, I didn't know this.

Many years ago (25+) Lie-Nielsen had their own foundry in the original building. I remember getting a tour of it given by Tom for our NH guild. It was small and dark, and dirty like most foundries. They went away from doing things themselves because they couldn't handle the volume needed to grow. They never said, but I suspect they also were a magnet for environmental and safety inspections which are a huge interruption for a small company.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Not plastic. There are 3-D printers for all types of metals. The military is even using them for high strength helicopter parts. Ukraine just got some for making tank parts. The parts still require heat treating and tempering.
    I haven't seen any additive manufacturing that wasn't cost-prohibitive, if doing something that can be done via casting/forging or other subtractive manufacturing though. There are plenty of things that can really only be done in an additive process, and that's a cool thing to have in your bag.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Rapid prototyping and one off parts seem like a good application. Cost effective mass production, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Rapid prototyping and one off parts seem like a good application. Cost effective mass production, not so much.
    While I want to agree with you, things are changing rapidly. Costs are coming down and speed up. There might also be leasing available. Maybe the time isn't now, but soon.
    I'm thinking of the possibilities. Wouldn't it be great to be able to choose what you want, in the material of your choice?

I would like a #3 sized plane in a nickel-bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I would like a #3 sized plane in a nickel-bronze.
    I'll take one in gold and will happily pay twice the price of the bronze model!

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Tebo View Post
    I'll take one in gold and will happily pay twice the price of the bronze model!

Dennis
    I'm afraid that solid gold would not be practical as a user. Too soft. If you wanted a gold display piece, then plating would be a good bet. Still too soft to use though. Now paying twice as much for bronze but getting gold would be a good investment.