Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clothes dryer designs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It goes directly into a standard wall vent with flap. Once the vent is in the right place, the dryer can be taken out and put right back. Just a friction fit but the dryer stays in place fine. Feel in the cap from the outside to make sure it’s being slid in correctly. We’re probably on our fourth dryer here, and I’ve never even needed to move the wall cap.
    So all the noise and vibration gets transmitted directly to the wall. Here most of the washers and dryers are in the basement, dryer vents are usually low so your direct venting would not work.
    I use metal hard pipe not flex pipe to the outside vent with the flapper of course.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I use a snorkel vent. Metal no plastic.
    Bill D

Never heard any extra noise, and no one who bought one of my houses ever complained about it either. We have two going in our house at the same time sometimes, and we never hear them. No dryers in basements here in my houses, although all the spec houses on the lake have daylight basements. I think maybe even more noise might be transmitted through plastic dryer hoses. It might be louder on the outside though. I'll check the db on ours to see, but I'm sure there is no extra noise.

I've been doing them like this since the mid 1970's.

I remember that years ago , 1960s ? The clothes dryers were used by college students to see how many turns ,or minutes , they could stand. They boldly rolled in their small piece of space ! Heat was available, but there was no air conditioning !

I either forgot to remember that we had people coming to the rental house this weekend, or that today was Friday. In any case, I'll try to remember to take pictures of that dryer vent and dB readings next week. Pam, who can hear a lot better than I can, says that there is no dryer noise, and they're all much quieter than the washing machines.

dB of our dryer in the dogroom running, which is such a direct vented one as are all the ones I've installed, is 62 to 65 dB three feet in front of it. I just checked it a few minutes ago. Couldn't figure out how to take a screen shot with the phone ap. dB of 24" fan running 24 feet away was 76. dB for dryer may have been less if I turned that fan off.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-07-2023 at 9:20 AM.

Here's the picture of the side exit dryer in the rental house. The old one that was in there had metal flex 4" hose behind it and running around to the side to go out this exit. That flex hose was pretty smashed up from the dryer being pushed against it, and probably stuff getting dropped on it.

Pam said the old one never "worked very good". We gave the old washer and dryer to someone who needed them and wanted them. They said the dryer works fine. I expect it was the restricted vent.

I used the side exit kit for this dryer and had to use a little bit of the flex dryer hose because the exit through the wall was a little higher than where it came out of the dryer. This allowed us to push the dryer all the way back against the wall.

It works fine. dB right in front of the dryer is 69 to 71 dB, and without the dryer on the AC vent in there is 44 dB. I didn't turn the system off to check the noise. When I put the phone down beside the dryer where the vent is, it read 82 dB.

I don't see that there is any benefit to using any length of flex hose. I would rather not have had to use even this little bit, but had to work with what I had. I didn't build that house. This is the longest dryer hose I've ever used. The block of wood between the dryer and baseboard is to keep the dryer from getting shoved and damaging the pretty fragile flex hose.

The dryer had a knockout cover where the side exit comes through the side. https://www.amazon.com/383EEL9001L-P...6870524&sr=8-3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-09-2023 at 12:58 PM.