Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I surrender - - -

So I surrender - - -

Years ago I bought an Akeda Dovetail Jig and have been happy with it over the years. It worked well, was easy to set up, etc., plus it was typically OK with dust collection hooked up to my large Festool dust collector. Well, it has become just too difficult for me to get replacement bits, collars, etc. and from what I have observed the Leigh dust collection system works well. As a result, I ordered the Leigh Super 18 with the accessory dust stuff. I figure I will have to learn to use it, but I was wondering - are there any tips for me to consider from those who use the Leigh jigs? (One thing I figured out is the 24” one sags just a tiny bit in the middle - hence the 18. ( Also I never could get my Leigh Mortise/Tenoning jig to work with precision, so I still use my hollow chisel mortiser and cut tenons on my router table or my table saw, which probably delayed my decision to buy the Leigh jig.) Another thought - does the Leigh worth using to make sliding dovetails?

When you have a history of trouble setting up jigs, you should have have gone with the Keller dovetail fixture. But you asked after purchasing, to good luck this time. 3rd time is a charm?

Another Keller fan.

Yes.. I recently got a Keller, and it is very easy to use. But...if you want half-blind dovetails, you will need another jig. But if you are ok with an applied front, then it could work.
    Last edited by Christian Hawkshaw; 10-05-2023 at 12:57 PM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    Yes.. I recently got a Keller, and it is very easy to use. But...if you want half-blind dovetails, you will need another jig. But if you are ok with an applied front, then it could work.
    If I want a half blind, I glue on an 1/8" thick oversized piece of stock on the front, then flush trim it to the drawer front.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If I want a half blind, I glue on an 1/8" thick oversized piece of stock on the front, then flush trim it to the drawer front.

Yes...that is what i meat by "But if you are ok with an applied front, then it could work." Gluing is just one way to apply it. The method you suggest makes it real easy to do.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Leigh Super 24 here. They have a variety of ways to document your successful settings. Doing this has made my experience with the jig quite good. I do dedicate a pair of routers to the jig so I only have to do setups when I change thicknesses of stock or worn out bits. The vac accessory works well but it pretty flimsy. We all work with a lot of things that require finesse. Once I learned the levels of effort, pressure, etc. for the VRS it's all good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The good news is that Leigh jig does everything except make you coffee. The bad news is that the Leigh jig does everything. As a result it is quite complicated and fussy.

I have a bunch of tips for you.

First, make a dedicated stand for the Leigh Jig. There are bunch of YouTube Videos on design-builds for this, some with lids and handles. You may also want to make up a cardboard box to hold everything.

Second, buy every attachment and accessory for the jig and make some wooden jigs for other uses, like an angled dovetail. I made set up jigs and blocks and don't forget to label those, as six months from now, you'll forget what that little block of wood with your jig is used for.

Third, get a pair of used DeWalt (or other brand) routers for the jig and mark them as such and leave the bits in the router, so once you dial the jig in the joint and stock thickness, you don't have constantly reset and switch out bits.

Four, read the 50 page manual and watch the YouTube videos and practice making a simple box before you make any serious project.

Five, I developed my own instructions in the form of a written MSWord Outline which is a bit more elaborate, detailed and stupidly simple that the terse instructions that come with the jig.

Six, don't be afraid to call up Leigh Technical Service--they are kind, understanding, and helpful and often flesh out the details in the manual which are missing or need further explanation. Yes, a 50 page manual is not detailed enough for this jig. Hard to believe, eh?

Seven, and last, I bought some spare parts (cutters, set screws, fingers, allen wrench, set up wrench) because I'm stupid and drop parts or lose them. Label everything.
    Regards,

Tom

Thanks, but does anyone know - - -

Thank you all. Right now I am looking for another base that will fit my Bosch 1617 EVS’s (I have 3) with the hole the right size for the Leigh e7 7/16 template that comes with the Leigh jig. I have a clear acrylic plate I have used for the Akeda that is perfect for the Leigh e7 - has like a 1 1/8 opening with a flange for the template to sit in. Problem is I cannot recall where I got it - beautiful clear acrylic that is custom for the 1617. What I do recall is that it came from an individual who sold this stuff for routers. If any one knows of anyone who sells this stuff, I would like that info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pender View Post
    Thank you all. Right now I am looking for another base that will fit my Bosch 1617 EVS’s (I have 3) with the hole the right size for the Leigh e7 7/16 template that comes with the Leigh jig. I have a clear acrylic plate I have used for the Akeda that is perfect for the Leigh e7 - has like a 1 1/8 opening with a flange for the template to sit in. Problem is I cannot recall where I got it - beautiful clear acrylic that is custom for the 1617. What I do recall is that it came from an individual who sold this stuff for routers. If any one knows of anyone who sells this stuff, I would like that info!!!
    This worked with the porter cable style templates

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7102.../dp/B002E4VC1G
    Chris

Bosch makes an adapter for their router bases that will make it work.

Big Change??

As most of you may know, Lee Valley bought out Leigh. Well, in setting up the Super 18 I have been having real problems setting the right and left stop - there does not seem to be enough travel in the bottom plastic stop to make a fit on the wood as shown in the instructions in Manual Chapter 1, - images 1-8 to 1-10, so I called Leigh customer service. Well, SURPRISE SURPRISE, a very nice guy from Lee Valley answers and explains Lee Valley now owns Leigh and says he cannot answer my question, he has no training or knowledge base. Evidentially, they lost all the old knowledgeable Leigh customer support employees when they bought Leigh who did not want to move to Ottawa. May be I will get a call back with someone who has some training, but have to admit I am a fraction of an inch from sending the Super 18 back. One of the premises I relied upon in buying the jig was that Leigh had great customer support, which seems to be an issue. To me, this is a game changer. Thoughts?

The recommendation Christian made to me on the base plate does not seem to work. Tried every permutation and the best I can hook it up is with two screws to the bottom of the router housing - not good enough with a 2.25 HP router.
    Last edited by Thomas Pender; 10-13-2023 at 7:34 AM. Reason: Oops

Send it back while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pender View Post
    As most of you may know, Lee Valley bought out Leigh. Well, in setting up the Super 18 I have been having real problems setting the right and left stop - there does not seem to be enough travel in the bottom plastic stop to make a fit on the wood as shown in the instructions in Manual Chapter 1, - images 1-8 to 1-10, so I called Leigh customer service. Well, SURPRISE SURPRISE, a very nice guy from Lee Valley answers and explains Lee Valley now owns Leigh and says he cannot answer my question, he has no training or knowledge base. Evidentially, they lost all the old knowledgeable Leigh customer support employees when they bought Leigh who did not want to move to Ottawa. May be I will get a call back with someone who has some training, but have to admit I am a fraction of an inch from sending the Super 18 back. One of the premises I relied upon in buying the jig was that Leigh had great customer support, which seems to be an issue. To me, this is a game changer. Thoughts?

The recommendation Christian made to me on the base plate does it work. Tried every permutation and the best I can hook it up is with two screws to the bottom of the router housing - not good enough with a 2.25 HP router.
    I will post a picture of the plate mounted when I get a moment.
    Last edited by Christian Hawkshaw; 10-13-2023 at 9:00 AM.
    Chris

Here it is mounted on the fixed base.

routerbase.jpg
    Chris