Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for organizing my shop

Suggestions for organizing my shop

Got space but could use help best utilize it…
    IMG_1621.jpg

Nice looking bench and a nice looking space. I'd consider moving onto or along the wall on the left and organizing tools on the same wall. Here's a shot of my handtool area.

IMG_7634.jpg

And I've become a huge fan of the tool chest on the right, which holds ~1/2 wood working and 1/2 other tools and is especially good for keeping the latter contained. Will look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Tony, your immediate need is (1) a cabinet for tools, and (2) storage for wood. You might consider converting an old cabinet from a second-hand store before making simply to get stuff packed away. Building in your mess is both dangerous and likely to hide tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Tony, your immediate need is (1) a cabinet for tools, and (2) storage for wood. You might consider converting an old cabinet from a second-hand store before making simply to get stuff packed away. Building in your mess is both dangerous and likely to hide tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I’ve had a DTC that I need to finish that will help some with the tool storage. I had an on wall lumber storage system but found it hard to use with my physical weakness/limitations. I haven’t come up with a solution yet for storing it. Need a sharpening station too.

Christopher has a window for his bench, a true luxury. In your case the bench can come away from the walls with hand tool racks and shelves a mere turn away. Serious shelving in front of the end wall will free up lots of space. The band saw needs to back to a wall.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    I am a strong believer in French cleats to start with. The reason is because you can rearrange your whole shop in 30 mins. I even use them for wood storage and have never had to worry about it. I have my hand tool cabinet on them, and if I want to move it over 6” I can. Just an idea. I will have them in every shop.

One suggestion is books on setting up shop and/or watching many Youtube shop tour videos to get ideas that reflect what should be your priorities for space and setup.

I figured out in mid July 2023 I was leaving my old shop space and was "in" at my new place in about 6 weeks. I have seen about 400 of the 14k+ small shop tours on youtube in the last couple months. The main thing is to figure out what your one central tool is (on youtube, tablesaw), put that tool in the middle, then fill in around it sensibly and thoughtfully.

I am finally figuring out that I should probably have one separate building just for my wood stash, and that doesn't include logs for turning stock....

robo hippy

I've had small shops over the years. The one I am moving into this fall is basically the size of a small bedroom, about 12 x 12. It will be a hand tools only shop, my drill press and scroll saw will live in the garage. My son has a pretty well appointed woodshop about 10 miles away from me so if I had to use electrons to spin sharp things, I can do so there.

But having had several small shops in the past, here are a few ideas that have worked well for me.

1. Anything that can hang on a wall should hang on a wall. Whether it hangs off of a peg or a hook or in a purpose built cabinet on French cleats, have a place for everything, so you can tell at an instant if something is missing. I've used Cabinet Makers Chests and Dutch tool chests and I dislike them both. I like wall hanging chests or just pegs with tools hanging from them.
    2. Things that you use most should hang closer than things seldom used.
    3. Lumber can be stored flat, up high (I like the heavy-duty galvanized lumber racks that Lee Valley sells).
    4. Make a special station for sharpening (away from your bench so it doesn't get the bench all black and dirty).
    5. Have a cabinet for finishing supplies and shop chemicals.
    6. Make a spot for all of your shop cleaning supplies, brooms, rags, dustpans.
    7. Generally, for tool storage, I prefer that every tool has it's own spot, instead of open till arrangements where you must spend a lot of time digging through things you don't want to get to the thing you do want.

There are of course many others, but these are ideas that I have used in every shop I have ever had.

The main thing is a place for everything and everything in its place (not everything all over the place). By nature I am a sloppy worker and it takes a great deal of self discipline to put things away after I'm done using them, so I like things to hang directly over the bench (which for a small shop I recommend putting right up against the wall).

Have this to help on the wall but don’t think I’ve used it to full effect…
    IMG_9309.jpg
    IMG_9308.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I’ve had a DTC that I need to finish that will help some with the tool storage. I had an on wall lumber storage system but found it hard to use with my physical weakness/limitations. I haven’t come up with a solution yet for storing it. Need a sharpening station too.
    I think you'll find that working from a chest will help with organization. At least if you put things back. I sharpen on my bench, using a boot bin to keep the mess off. Lumber storage is always a pain. I think I need a conex for that.

with that said, my shop is a right mess at the moment. I'm in the middle of moving things around, reorganizing other storage, and I have a friend doing a project in it as well. Along with a temp spray booth. Oy, I can't wait to clean it up.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Worked on the DTC for a few minutes today after I did some clean up. Thing I’m going to put the Roubo in front if the OSB wall where the Roman is now (basically swap position). Ordered some more Texas Heritage plane holders and some more Gladiator hooks to see if I can maximize my wall storage a bit more as I work out how I want to use the space most.

Still not sure about the band saw and shave horse. or the lumber storage.

A Shop is NEVER set in stone, as tasks change....so does the shop...Depending on when you are doing LARGE Projects..or just simple Keepsake Boxes....

One could divide things up a bit...according to what tasks are done the most, as opposed to what gets done the least...Maybe "blur" the boundries at bit, as projects change.

About the time one gets everything set and lock into place....a project will come along that changes everything....One of Mr. Murphy's Infamous Laws.

Case in point...this old shelf unit needs to be replaced
    Post Drill Post, location, maybe.JPG
    Because of the addition to the shop of a Post Drill...the unit also needs to be about a foot narrower...so.Old Swayback Maru will just have to go...
    The Dungeon Woodshop is always changing....as will yours....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Cleanup yesterday helped feel a little better about my space. Also know that when I get the long poplar lumber I have across two workmates cut down for the Monticello bookcases the space will be more open.

The work I did today tells me that both benches are necessary for me. The tall one is good for edge work and fits with the methods I learned on how to plane (etc). The short one helps me do things on days that my legs aren’t so good or after I have worked standing up for a bit.