Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Costco VS Sam's Club

Blog Entries
    Have you tried steaming or microwaving the stuck together turkey to see if that will separate it?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    We're real big on Costco. Been using them for 20 years or so. We've always found their customer service to be really good. Especially their return policy.

PHM

So I went to Sam's to check it out. Same drive either way for me. One north one south. Prices are the same. Costco is much cleaner and organized. Might have been just as clean, just looked cluttered to me. I've had good customer service experiences at both over the years. It really comes down to minor hassle of fighting the lunch meat, but it is an every day battle. Costco sells a three pack of rectangular turkey slices which I switched to for a while, but honestly don't care for. My wife and I like going in early to shop before it gets busy and we can only go at 10 to Costco. Some days it's like a blood sport getting a cart and getting through the store. Sam's was offering 50% off so we got their plus membership and we can go in early after 8 and before 10 so it's less crowded. Benefits are pretty much the same. Some items we purchase at Costco won't cross over, but we'll try to find a substitute. Egg frittatas, gluten free bread... may wind up keeping both Just buying larger quantities of stuff from the store we go to less often. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

One thing I appreciate about Costco is their employee retention. Folks tend to not leave and they pay well with good benefits. Further, nobody in the store is "above" doing all the tasks...all the managers regularly cycle through the mundane things like janitorial duties, door check out, checkout/cart handling, etc., and there's just no way anyone is going to get bored. The one of our two local stores opened in 2011 and nearly all of the original employees are there...their name tags show how long they have been employees.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

^^^^ This

They treat their employees well and it shows in pretty much every interaction. Very unusual in retail in general.

I used to have a Costco membership because I wanted to avoid the Walmart aspect. However, once I semi-retired I got rid of most of my credit cards and only kept two, both happened to be Mastercards. When I found out Costco only takes Visa I dropped my membership and now go to Sam's Club when I need the same type purchase. I haven't come across another store or business, large or small, that takes credit cards that doesn't take both Visa and MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    I used to have a Costco membership because I wanted to avoid the Walmart aspect. However, once I semi-retired I got rid of most of my credit cards and only kept two, both happened to be Mastercards. When I found out Costco only takes Visa I dropped my membership and now go to Sam's Club when I need the same type purchase. I haven't come across another store or business, large or small, that takes credit cards that doesn't take both Visa and MC.
    They will take a MC labeled Debit Card, but they have an exclusive with VISA these days...it used to be AMEX. And many Costco members also have the Citi/Costco CC because of the rebates.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I write a cheque. They limit the cards to cut costs, I'm OK with that. All in all, I prefer cash anyway.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut