Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench machinist vise recommendations?

For a machinest vise I have a mediocre old craftsman that does what i need (I'd take a wilton any day though). On my main bench, I use the older Jorgensen quick release and it's been great for decades of use (but I don't know if it's manufactured any longer and if it is, what the current build quality is) - my smaller bench is a C Christensen worth wooden screws...meh. I purchased the LV front quick release vise and the tail vise about 3 years ago to build another bench but just haven't had the time to implement. That said, by inspection only, they seem very high quality and I can't wait to "make the time" to create the new bench and install them. GL

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Stephen, the Charles Parker vise looks stout as hell and very similar to my 4” Columbian vise with its rectangle slide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I cleaned up and sold this one for $300- probably could have gotten more...

It weighed 56 lbs.

IMG_3054.jpeg

I have a Heinrich 4" I like. The quick release is handy

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I cleaned up and sold this one for $300- probably could have gotten more...

It weighed 56 lbs.

IMG_3054.jpeg
    $300, that's a score. Very nice.

Those are a grand locally, at least.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have a Wilton multipurpose 4" Wilton Vise

I like that you can turn it sideways.
    I also bought the Magna Jaws for it and I think some soft jaws (They're in a box somewhere ...)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 10-09-2023 at 6:25 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I'd pick up an American made vise on craigslist: they are widely available. I would not pass up a Record made in England. These will be far better than a modern vise made in china.

Here's a Craftsman that I restored a couple of years ago: these are very common on craigslist:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 10-09-2023 at 9:22 PM.

The big used ones are usually pretty beat up but still functional for when you need one that big. I also like having a small one that's in good shape, so fortunately the new small ones are not as expensive as new big ones. I keep the small one bolted to a piece of plywood that can be fastened down with a C-clamp in lots of places.

Yeah, I have a 300mm Heuer on some plywood for "light" use. I often secure it with a clamp and a holdfast. Also a solid choice. I also have a craftsman from the Columbian era.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have a Wilton but just for kicks and giggles, check this monster out. His videos are awesome, this is THE industrial, haha

https://fireballtool.com/products/fi...-hardtail-vise

Fireball.jpg

Kyle, that looks something like the monster that Matt Cremona bought for his metalworking stuff. "Yuge"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kyle, that looks something like the monster that Matt Cremona bought for his metalworking stuff. "Yuge"...
    I will have to check it out. I didn't realize he was into that as well. You can also purchase the made in the USA version for over 3k, crazy stuff but those things are no joke.

Yea, I believe he got it within the last year and he's put it to good work when fixing his mini skid steer and replacing bearings, etc. I think you practically need a mini skid steer to lift the contraption!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bigger isn't necessarily better. My behemoth Columbian is great for pounding, but the long handle & it's large arc are a bother for smaller, more precise work.

For the really delicate stuff, there's this:

IMG_4504.jpeg