Thread: Universal 75 watt

Universal 75 watt

Looking to buy another laser. I do a lot of raster engraving but I also cut acrylic. What can I expect from the universal 75 watt? Will I be able to cut 3/8 and 1/2” quickly and reliably with a nice clean edge?

Should be able to if your pushing the wattage and the tube is in good condition. Define quickly though.

I second Chase asking "define quickly". Not knowing your job details and not asking you to give up any information that may lead to exposing opportunity leals to your competitors that maybe present on here. It may be tough to recommend the right machine for your process.

In other words, you did mention the thickness which helps, and from my experience with production runs in engraving/cutting the thicknesses you mentioned. 75watts isn't going to get you there quickly in a production stand point, and the thicknesses you mentioned, your edges will not be flat incase you need to join them. With that said and considering you mentioned quickly, then you may want to consider looking in the 250 - 400 wattage range if you soley want a laser.

However, this will come with a price tag that may or may not put you out of reach not knowing you financial status.

With that said, 75 watt should be plenty for rastering but not for cutting those thicknesses. Instead of spending and arm and a leg for 250 - 400 watt machine (considering the cost of recharge), you can split the cost and stretch you buying power by looking into a router. Used or new. From experience, you can profile out parts faster with a router than a 75 watt machine and your edges will be flat if you need to join them at the thicknesses you mentioned. 75watts for .005" to .250" thick then I would say go! But at a half inch thick cut through in a single pass, is going to be slow.

The bright side of having 2 machines if you can afford the cost and space, is the ability to not only increase output, but also offer more service and products.

This is something to seriously consider. You'll thank me.

But if you are solely set on a laser for multiple reason that impact your decision greatly. 75 watts will get the job done, just not as quickly as you will like.

Universals are great machines. So is Trotec and Epilog so if you can find a good deal for any one of those 3 and you know it's a good deal then purchase it. But if you can find exactly what you are looking for and need with two machines, I highly recommend going this route.

define not just quickly but clean edge... As others mentioned, you can cut 1/2" with a 75W RF laser but you will be pushing its limits with max power and a pretty slow speed setting. The edges will have a definite slope and will be a bit melty/wavy, definitely not "flame polished".

I agree that you can cut 1/2" acrylic with your machine. I think more than one pass may be necessary.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Read this, found 2 pieces of 1/4" thick plex, put them in my 80w Chinese Triumph--
    it DID get thru in one pass, but had to get down to only 4mm per second to do it, and a little slower yet would've likely gone thru better-- that's slow, roughly 6-1/2 seconds per inch. That works out to just a hair more than 5 minutes to cut a square foot--

But, still better than NOT cutting it I guess!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle