Thread: Looking for tips and favorite tools for doing kumiko projects

Looking for tips and favorite tools for doing kumiko projects

I'm getting ready to begin my first project in kumiko. I have read many articles and have seen many videos of people using kumiko woodworking techniques to make beautiful projects. What I would like to find out is are there any useful tips to help kumiko woodworkers complete their projects? I also would like to know what are the favorite hand tools people have used when doing kumiko woodworking? Thanks.

I started doing some Kumiko about 2 years ago and I’m far from proficient at it. Here are some thoughts. No particular order.

Sharp and I mean sharp chisels. I keep my strop on the bench and strop after cutting 6-10 pieces. I also bought a 1.5 inch Narex richter chisel specifically for my Kumiko. started off using a 3/4 chisel but it didn’t register well. The 1 1/2 I found to be perfect. One thing some people suggested is regrinding the primary bevel to 20 degree so it becomes more a paring chisel. I did not do that and don’t find any problems at 25 with a secondary bevel of 27-28.

if you are cutting your own Kumiko strips, I started on my bandsaw and then used a thicknessing jig and a no 5 Stanley to make sure each strip was exactly 1/8 thick. I then started using my table saw to cut my strips after using a caliper to set my fence to 1/8 inch. Faster for sure.

for the grids I just set up a simple box cutting jig on my miter gauge using a 3/8 spacing which seems to be the most common. Works well,once dialed in. Takes a few tries to cut the half laps perfectly but once set up I can cut grids pretty quickly and far better than doing them by hand using a saw.

Kumiko will test you patience, but take your time with your first several practice squares. I also used rather large 5x5 squares to start as the pieces are easier to cut.

if you haven’t made your jigs to trim the Kumiko to the right angles yet, I made mine out of some laminated 3/4 sapelle I had left over. I made mine 1 1/2 think, but now wished I had made them thicker. Used my miter saw to cut the 45, 22.5 and 67.5 angles. Just make sure your miter saw is accurate and cuts square vertically.

good luck

E1C7A4F8-16E1-4479-B546-415A0868FADA.jpg5F9BD696-6A4D-4C33-8DF3-8CF57F401733.jpg
    this is a tea box I made as a wedding present this past summer. Cherry with basswood inserts and Kumiko

Brian has covered the most important stuff … your chisel(s) need to be sharp and the back needs to be flat as that is what is registering on the jig. I would also recommend a softer wood for the internal, angled kumiko pieces, such as basswood or white pine. Much easier to pare than a harder wood like maple.

One more thing … a shorter length chisel is sometimes better since you end up holding it by the blade to make the paring cuts. Having a long chisel with a lot of weight in the handle is not ideal.
    Last edited by Tom Bain; 10-28-2023 at 8:05 AM.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry