Thread: vacuum chuck system smoking/spitting oil

vacuum chuck system smoking/spitting oil

Hi folks,

I just assembled a vacuum chuck system with a "YaeTek 1/3HP 5cfm vacuum pump - 110V single stage 5cfm rotary vane vacuum pump refrigerant air conditioning" from Amazon. I filled the oil to the max fill line and turned it on to check the pressure; everything was good. I start using it, after 5 minutes of using it the vent on the top starts producing quite a bit of smoke to the point I had to open some windows to air out my shop before it becomes a cloud. I also noticed that not only is smoke coming out of the vent but its also spitting oil out of the same vent hole.

My question is; is that all normal? The smoke and oil spitting?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Darren

Read a review on the Cdn Amazon site for this pump posted by a person using it for vacuum chucking. Said it filled his shop with fumes so he hooked up a garden hose to vent it elsewhere. Other than that he seemed happy.

Sounds like YGWYPF
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Read a review on the Cdn Amazon site for this pump posted by a person using it for vacuum chucking. Said it filled his shop with fumes so he hooked up a garden hose to vent it elsewhere. Other than that he seemed happy.
    Thanks Bill,

I read the review, I guess a garden hose will have to do and will stop the oil spitting all over the place.

Darren.

It's not smoke, it's oil vapor. Put a small hose on it, insert the hose in a can, the put a crumpled paper towel on top of the hose in the can. Problem solved with a couple dollars of hose.

When I was contemplating making a vacuum chuck system I thought that the price of the refrigeration vacuum pumps was enticing. But I was turned off by the oil vapor issue. So, instead I bought a vacuum pump that was a used a used and rebuilt Thomas (similar to a Gast) vacuum pump. Yes, it cost about $60 more but it was worth it. It's original job was for use in a 24 x 7x 365 oxygen concentrator. It is quiet and no oil fumes/vapor.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    It's not smoke, it's oil vapor. Put a small hose on it, insert the hose in a can, the put a crumpled paper towel on top of the hose in the can. Problem solved with a couple dollars of hose.
    Shoot! I've been trying to think of a very simple solution to this problem and I think this is it. Thanks!
    RD